Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Can I plant bush beans now?

plantslayer
10 years ago

Hello,

I just moved into a new house a few weeks ago and finally got our vegetable garden installed (purchased garden soil, not cheap!).

Anyway, I wasn't able to plant beans when I normally plant pole beans, in the middle of May. I was wondering, If I plant bush beans now, will they be able to grow and produce before weather gets too cool in the fall? I am assuming it's too late for pole beans.

Also, since I'm on the subject, when would you plant snow peas for fall harvest?

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

For our area, veggies are generally grouped into a cool season group and a warm season group - the cools prefer the mildness of spring or fall to thrive and the warms struggle to endure our not very warm (or long) summers

Beans, both pole or bush, are warm season veggies. If you plant immediately and our current weather holds, you might get a decent crop but you are looking at a 8-10 week harvest interval. That puts us right at the end of September/beginning of October, which is really pushing it!

OTOH, peas are a cool season veggie. You can plant them now (actually earlier in July is recommended).

Get your hands on a copy of the Maritime Northwest Garden Guide published by Seattle Tilth, available at most garden centers and bookstores. This is the go-to resource for successful veggie gardening in the PNW.

• plantslayer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heh, thanks gardengal. I actually have a copy of that book but unfortunately it is packed in a box somewhere under a bunch of other books. Anyway, I think I will either get seeds for the fastest good bush variety of beans that I can find, or just focus on snow peas.

• plantslayer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Before I forget, I thought that hot weather can destroy a pea crop very quickly. If I plant now and have very young plants when hot weather (possibly) arrives in August, will the plants make it? I do realize that waiting much longer will mean they don't have time to mature.

• lilydude
    10 years ago

I grow Sugar Snap peas all summer long. Just keep them well watered and fertilized. I have seedlings about an inch tall right now.

• hemnancy
    10 years ago

I have one heirloom pole bean called Grandma Robert's Purple Pole bean that could still grow now. Some bush beans I recommend are Contender, around 45 days. I had better peas last fall than I did in the spring. If you plant greens like Collards, Kale, Turnips, overwintering broccoli, etc, right away they can get big enough to make it through the winter and provide early spring greens and flower buds. My deadline is actually July 15 but it's not much over. Some greens like Bok Choy, lettuce, and arugula could still make a nice crop before frost but would not overwinter.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

PNW is a relatively vast area, I thing.
    Here in Seattle area, you can practically plant peas and beans all season long. Here , we are in HEAT ZONE 1, meaning that RARELY temperature go over 86F.On top of that, we have VERY cool nights. Mostly in high 50s and rarely in low 60s. We have the best climate for cool crops and potatoes, carrots, cabbage, beans, peas, ...

I have already planted my 4th batch of peas and beans. The first round of peas is history. The second round is producing, the fourth round have recently germinated.