Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best hybrid teas and floribunda roses for Central Oregon

Posted by walterdavidwilson none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 13:42

Within the next few months I will be moving from Georgia to Central Oregon (Redmond). I realize that is in Zone 1 and may limit my rose growing. Any ideas about what roses will do well in that area? I will be planting my roses in raised beds. Because Georgia is very humid, every summer my roses suffer from black spot. Is that much of a problem in the dry climate of Central Oregon? Thanks. Dave.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best hybrid teas and floribunda roses for Central Oregon

I don't know much about growing roses in dry climates, but I can tell you that you're unlikely to have problems with bacterial blight in Central OR. Way too dry. Your growing challenges are going to be relatively hot summer with relentless sun, winter cold, and a general lack of water and humidity (you're looking at 10-12" of rain a year). The soil is sandy and may be above pH 7 in some places.

The dominant flora in Deschutes County includes juniper, sagebrush, Ponderosa Pine, sulfur buckwheat, Indian paintbrush, and various forms of bunch grasses. Drought-tolerant plants hardy to USDA Zone 6 (or lower) that I would recommend trying in Redmond would be: Salvia dorrii, Salvia pachyphylla, Arctostaphylos pungens, Arctostaphylos patula, Penstemon centranthifolius, Penstemon grinnellii, Penstemon speciosus, and Eriophyllum lanatum.

o
RE: Best hybrid teas and floribunda roses for Central Oregon

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 20:06

Searles, The Garden of Joy lists and describes roses for the interior and talks about details of growing them there - for instance that hybrid teas are chlorotic on alkaline soils. There's also this, from OSU.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses ... in Central Oregon

This post was edited by bboy on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 20:20

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here