Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walnuts before squirrels get them

Posted by charleney 8a PNW (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 13:48

I have a huge walnut tree that bears huge nuts. Is there any way to harvest them before hull cracks? I have tried before, but can't seem to remove the hulls. The squirrels will clean out that whole magnificent tree before I can ever get to them (in one night). Also what and when can I spray them for the maggot that they get?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walnuts before squirrels get them

I have a large (~40' x 40') Eastern black walnut and wish that I had your problems. The walnuts begin to slowly fall in the summer and ramp up like crazy in September and October. I typically fill about three yard waste bins with walnuts alone each October. You most likely have a different species of walnut than I (or much hungrier squirrels).

My wife has hulled them in the past, and I believe that she used a hammer. If you have an Eastern black walnut, be sure to wear rubber gloves while removing the husks. Otherwise, your hands will be a lovely dark gray color for several weeks.

o

Sorry, these are huge wonderful English walnuts. Hope someone can help

o

bump

o

You might try posting on the fruit & orchards forum, they discuss squirrel vs. man a lot. In the case of a large tree, they will likely recommend eliminating or reducing the squirrel population.

Often, keeping all branches pruned well off the ground and away from other objects, and then devising an elaborate zero-friction trunk surround so that squirrels cannot climb it, is effective. If squirrels are currently living in the tree, they must be eliminated.

The other forum members could also offer advice on spraying.

o

good advice, I will try it all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here