Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone familiar with the Green Gage Plum tree?

Posted by ellen_portland z8 OR (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 14:10

I believe we have two of them in our backyard: small, green to then yellow/orange fruit, very tasty.
It is always getting so fruit heavy on the branches the branch snaps!! So now I have large branches on the ground laden with not ripe fruit. This seems to happen every other year or so. I've just trimmed them back quite a bit. We live right next to a walking trail and much of the trails trees have grown out into our yard- these poor little trees are growing out sideways a bit to get to the sun.

Any help on the care and feeding of these sweet little trees would be greatly appreciated. I would like to have some fruit left to harvest. What's the best way to do this? We usually put a sheet down and shake there is too many to pick! Any recipe ideas??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone familiar with the Green Gage Plum tree?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 30, 09 at 1:48

Wondering if you instead have Cherry Plum (Prunus cerasifera). Fruit variety and orchard husbandry information can be found on web sites of USDA Cooperative Extension Service network. Start by searching oregon extension.

Gages are European plums with same general growth and foliage characters as the popular Italian prune, the Damson, and others.

o
RE: Anyone familiar with the Green Gage Plum tree?

I have a green gage I bought from Starks catalog over 30 years ago...it is a not quite round shape, green turning to yellow (sometimes to gold), blooms early, sets way too much fruit and frequently breaks limbs.....but oh so sweet although skin can be a little bitter. .... i prefer to eat them fresh but have used them in some jams and compotes jwww

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here