Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diseased Robinia

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 14:36

I have a Purple Robe Robinia that has a number of dead branches. I took a close look today and found that it has an area about a foot high by 6 inches wide on the trunk that has lost its bark and the underneath part is punky. Also, the branches above have longitudinal areas where the bark is gone. There are some new, small branches growing on these branches but there are a lot of bigger branches that are dead. The tree is about 9 years old.any thoughts about the problem?
I've been trying to post pictures but for some reason they are out of focus on this site, even though they are fine on my computer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diseased Robinia

My thoughts: That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Contact a Certified Arborist qualified to assess potentially hazardous trees.

o

Gardenweb is re-sizing your image from the originally uploaded 640x853px to 550x733px, making it look unfocused.

The only thing you can do is to resize your image before uploading it to the forums, to a size that appears to be still in focus.

o

Jean, I think there's a bad problem too. I have another Robinia about 40 feet away from this one so I hope it isn't a virus that will get it too. We are going to get an arborist in soon to do some tree work here.
Larry Gene I spent almost an hour trying to get the image clear and finally gave up and just posted what I had. Sometimes computers drive me crazy. I'll see if I can resize it and try again soon. thanks for the input.

o

Well, one thing for certain, it's not a virus. But it is a problem.

Make certain your arborist is Certified with the ISA because those folk must pass a test as well as acquire continuing education.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here