Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winsorw

Tropical-looking plant at a restuarant

winsorw
14 years ago

Hi,

I know this is a silly question but I would really like to know. Does anyone know what kind of tropical-looking plants that are grown in front of the restaurant called 'bahama breeze' in South Center mall, Tukwila? They have big leaves, very noticeable when driving by.

Thank you very much.

Comments (20)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

What shape are the leaves?

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

By typing in the restaurant address
    15700 Southcenter Parkway, tukwila
    into Google maps, one can maneuver the "street view" link
    and see the plants, somewhat blurry.

Looks like some common type of palms, perhaps some fatsia, and I can't tell if the other trees are evergreen magnolias or not.

• winsorw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys. Larry, you have great eye sights:-) Yes, there are some palms but the plants I want to know its name are planted closer to the building and I can't really see them in Google. I probably have to stop by and take pictures. They have large leaves, could be Fatsia. I think last time I drove by was last December (not so sure though) and they had leaves so I thought they could be evergreen or semi-evergreen.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Sometimes Tetrapanax is seen in plantings here. But Fatsia is much more likely.

• winsorw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks bboy, you know, it could be Tetrapanax. I should drive there and take pictures.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I've eaten there and don't recall anything out of the ordinary. I think I would have noticed Tetrapanax but not Fatsia. FYI Wasn't particularly impressed with the food nor the long wait to be seated.

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

Perhaps the plant in question is among these:

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

The yellowish ones are the Fatsi (Japanese common name). They are getting too much sun and/or the soil is not suitable.

• winsorw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all,
    OK, I drove there just to look and take picture. The plant in question is certinaly Fatsia just like some of you guessed without even looking at a picture. Thanks larry_gene for sending picture. That BB must be in Oregon. Fatsias in Tukwila are healthier looking, too bad I don't have a link to show the pictures I took.

Thank you everyone for entertaining my silly question.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Lots of similar Fatsi in this area. Badly located yellowish ones not rare.

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

The BB in my posted image is the one in Tukwila. The Google image would have been taken in a previous year, perhaps after a long dry spell. It is possible the plant in the image has been replaced by another, healthier fatsia. After all, BB would want to keep up its tropical theme.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

I thought it (the restaurant and landscaping) looked familiar.

Replacement Fatsi will not look any better unless cultural conditions there are changed.

• bluesunflower
    14 years ago

Isn't that a Western exposure? That would be a lot of sun and considering the surrounding plants I would guess that it is far to dry for the Fatsia.
    I have never eaten there but the long wait explains why it always looks like a hopping place. Apparently it isn't that it's so popular, people are just starving outside.

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

The exposure of this particular planting bed is southwest.

And rather than this thread being a "silly question", I found it quite interesting that google street view images (winsorw gave enough clues to find the address), that I use all the time in my business, can also be used as a plant identification tool!

• winsorw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When I went to take the picture, two sides of the restaurant are quite bright but Fatsia looks healthier than this picture. There is also one Aucuba, which is rather pale but not too bad.

Google's street view is great but I feel a little uncomfortable too that someone can just type in my address and actually see what my home looks like. But then, it's not that different from someone driving by my home anyway:-)

• dawiff
    14 years ago

I found Google's street view a very useful tool when we were searching for a house, given how creatively realtors frame the photos in the listings.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

If your house is back up a long drive or otherwise obscured all that is shown is whatever can be seen from a car in front of the address.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I don't think we have any Bahama Breeze restaurants in Oregon

• flora2
    14 years ago

Hi
    Completely off topic, but how do you do a Google's street view search? Thanks a lot

• winsorw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Flora2,
    You just type in the address in google/google map and it will give you an aerial view, if it has a street view it will also show on the list. Now, not every addresses will have street views so it might not have what you're looking for.