Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natureperson_gw

Please help me figure out what to plant

natureperson
14 years ago

This is for someone who lives in the Northwest. Can you please tell me what plants thrive in shade, something low growing, that can handle lots of wetness in the winter and requires minimal water during summer, and spreads quickly? Of course, it needs to look good. :)

Comments (4)

• dottyinduncan
    14 years ago

One of the prettiest I have is Epimedium. It is evergreen and in early spring, I give it a haircut and see the little yellow flowers that emerge before the new leaves. It spreads slowly. I also have a lot of shade groundcovers but many of them are quite aggressive.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Wild-Lily-of-the-Valley (Canada Mayflower).

• natureperson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you.

I should have mentioned that this is for a wooded area, so anything that spread quickly is good too.

• jewell_pnw
    14 years ago

Sweet woodruff (Galium odoratum) and western bleeding hearts (Dicentra formosa) do real well in my yard and spread rather quickly (I started two fairly large beds and they are filling in nicely). These two are very complementary to each other. They are in both partial and full shade. For bulbs the wild/french hyacinth (Hyacinthus orientalis var. albulus) naturalize well in this area.