Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing in Montana

Posted by RochelleC87 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 16:01

Hello,I am from Arizona and used to gardening in warmer climates obviously, but I can no longer take the extreme heat and have never really acclimatized myself to it, my soul craves some place that is green and alive. For me, living in the desert is like locking someone in a completely white room and watching them go crazy. I really love the natural beauty of Missoula Montana and the community that lives in it. My problem is that I do not know anything about growing in colder climates. What trees, flowers, fruits and vegetables grow well there. What do I need to do to help them survive against the elements. What precautions do I take to prevent wildlife from devouring what I grow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing in Montana

Do you have a local agricultural center there? They answer most of my questions. I google the rest of it. Sounds like a very desolate state compared to the east coast. I'm glad you found a community you like. I don't really fit in here. I'm a Yankee in the deep South.

o

If you're in the Missoula area, join a garden club. That's the best way I know for a newcomer to find out what's going on in the gardening world where you live.
Mike

o

Montana is not exactly considered part of the PNW so unless some local members have previous Montana living experience, you would probably be much better off posting your inquiry on the Rocky Mountain Gardening forum.

o

Hi Rochelle- I used to live in Missoula- you have found the best place to live- I miss it so much!! I recommend as others have said- go visit some local nurseries- Caras Nursery or Earth and Wood are great. Hopefully you'll have more luck than I did with the deer- they are everywhere and eat everything. Good luck and have fun looking.

o

I second the Rocky Mtn Gardening forum- they're very nice over there, and there used to be a few people from Montana- I think one woman who is an avid gardener lives in the Kalispell area, though I'm not sure how active she is on the forum lately (as I'm not in the RMG zone anymore).

I used to live in Great Falls, but other than some basic stuff like lilacs, spirea, peonies, I can't help much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here