Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to the area

Posted by Linda_NWartist none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 16:24

Hubby and I, with our little energy ball Devyn, just moved here from Mississippi gulf coast. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! No matter how long or dreary the winters may be (or so we've heard) it doesn't hold a candle to the humid, stinky, sweltering pestilence-overloaded coast. Good riddance hurricanes! Katrina dumped saltwater all over what gardens we had left.

We live on Camano Island, WA and would love to know more about what grows well here. Clematis, so we've seen... Japanese red maples, bearded irises~ all the flora we love so far.

I'm a roser, love my David Austins. Does anyone know how well they do here?

Thanks for any advice/replies. I appreciate your time.
Hope your day is a good one,

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to the area

Welcome! We just got here too, Oregon coast from Colorado rockies. Nice not to constantly be surrounded by fires!

I've no idea what works where you are but it could be a good idea to make a list of what you love and bring it to the local nursery. Although, just because they sell it doesn't mean it does well! Sometimes, they can be very helpful sharing info on what will work best.

Have fun!

Jennifer

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 23:41

If you are interested in roses go to this place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christianson's Nursery - Roses

o

Wonderful, thanks Jennifer. Good idea. I learned that things that are sold at nurseries may not do well in MS, lol! Fuschia hated hot, humid southern weather. I'm glad you're away from fires, too. Nothing like natural catastrophes to make you appreciate moving vans, huh?

bboy, thanks for the link. I will go there now... hiding credit card from myself ;)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 14:54

By this late in the season they do not have anywhere near the full list given on the web site, of course, but you may find something of interest anyway. They get them in and pot them up at the end of winter, start offering and selling them as soon as they are potted.

o

About David Austins... our climate is similar enough to England's that pretty much the same plants will do well for us. I only grow a few Austins (Jude the Obscure, Heritage, Munstead Wood, Lilian Austin) but they all do great for me.

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 12:07

Linda,
I posted some links on the other new transplant post that might be of interest to you.

Also, go to the exchange link at the top of this page & you'll find out about the free plant swaps. The next one is in Olympia Sept. 15 and in Redmond on November 3. You won't find David Austin roses there, but you will find a lot of other plants you'll enjoy that grow well here.

Welcome ~
Corrine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here