Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for rosa banksiae lutescens?

Posted by blameitontherain 8 PNW wetandwetta (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 17:32

Hi.

I'm looking for a Puget Sound source for the above rose (a/k/a the Lady Banks rose) for my sister, whose newly married surname is "Banks". I checked Molbaks and did a general Google search without success. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Rain

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for rosa banksiae lutescens?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 13:55

To get the single yellow lutescens you're going to have to have one shipped in from elsewhere - if you can find a US source. If instead you are looking for the double yellow 'Lutea' there may be some around at a garden center somewhere in the area. You'll just have to make some more phone calls, maybe drive a ways to get it. The selection of roses now will not be nearly what it was in spring, and won't be back up again until peak season next year.

If instead it being any version of R. banksiae is acceptable the double white form seems to have been the most prevalent at outlets here in later years. This was the original type first named R. banksiae and grown under that name. Later the true original wild species (with single white flowers and thorny canes) was recognized and became differentiated as R. banksiae var. normalis.

o

Thanks for the helpful response, BBoy. I did want the single type as my rose guide indicated it had some fragrance. Might have to switch plans.

Rain

o

I have the double white Lady Banks, which is actually mildly and sweetly fragrant as well as several of the double yellow one, which is not. I got them at Al's Nursery in Tigard Oregon and have seen many of them there.

o

Found one at Swanson's, yahoo!

Rain

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 19:20

Double white?

o

The double yellow, 'Lutea' form. Had hoped to find the single, but such was not to be.

Philosophically,

Rain

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here