Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winsorw

Nerium oleander in PNW?

winsorw
14 years ago

Hi,

Anyone has experience growing Nerium oleander in the ground in zone 8 (south sound area?). Does it really need protection during winter or could it be treated as perennial?

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Don't know how the ones being grown in Seattle area look after this past winter. Some years ago it was being grown in a sheltered townhouse garden in the Madison Park neighborhood of Seattle. More recently one of the owners of this place (below) told me a customer had a whole hedge of it. At that time the nursery had a row of potted ones in flower arranged out in front of the building, where they would draw attention.

Down your way a good place to go and ask about it would be Jungle Fever Exotics, near the main entrance to Pt Defiance Park.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minter's Earlington Greenhouse & Nursery

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

I grew one in a very sheltered position in my enclosed patio for a number of years. It bloomed only once - I doubt it got enough sun and it surely didn't get enough heat to bloom consistently or well :-) After a nasty winter similar to this past one, it finally croaked.

Maybe worth an experiment but I wouldn't consider it a long term plant in this area.

• ian_wa
    14 years ago

'Hardy Red' oleander did great for me for about 8 years, until last winter when it received heavy damage. Drainage wasn't ideal. I might try it again on a south wall with really good drainage and possibly overhead cover. But I wouldn't bother with any but the hardiest varieties such as 'Hardy Red' and 'Hardy Pink'. Also it's really a slow grower here without a lot of heat.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

I'm growing it in a pot, it came blooming and is getting a second set of blooms. Black pots increase the heat to a plant's roots... I plan to overwinter it indoors or in my non-freezing garage.

• winsorw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the great info! I will try it just for fun and won't expect much from it:-)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Black pots increase the heat to a plant's roots

Yes: The south side of an exposed smaller pot can reach 150 degrees F. during a short time on a hot day. So be careful with this. Plants in one gallon pots I check have often had part of the roots killed by sun exposure. When this is discovered as the purchased plant is being taken out of the plant for potting this can be an annoyance.

Potted plants being moved around (as in a sales yard) during summer may have most of the roots baked if the orientation of the pot is changed - like flipping a burger on a grill. First one side is cooked, then the other.

I've got some potted plants grouped together out in front, waiting to go into planters. Looks like the roots of the Frikart aster got too hot yesterday, despite being kept moist. The top became somewhat discolored and flaccid.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Perhaps pots on concrete might get so hot, but mine are on a deck with climbing roses on the railing and large cedars that give afternoon shade. I've had many plants in pots on the deck for many years with excellent results. It's certainly wise to keep an eye on such things.

I haven't had as good results with eggplants and peppers planted in the ground as I get with those planted in pots, and also I've grown a lot of roses in pots on the deck as well. I do have to water them daily.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!