Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID Portland Oregon freeway roses: pictures

Posted by pdxlights usda 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 20:18

I finally went out and took photos of the glorious roses growing along Hwy 405. What could they be? Here they are at the following site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28566127@N07/?saved=1
I hope this worked as they are apparently too large to upload directly into gardenweb.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID Portland Oregon freeway roses: pictures

I am by no means an expert, but in Washington they mostly use grootendorst roses along the highways. I have grown them myself and I believe that the roses in your pictures are pink grootendorst and grootendorst supreme (red).

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 0:11

I see mostly non-Grootendorst rugosa roses. Some sections also have R. multiflora. In the Willamette Valley, where there appears to have been a lot more of it planted in the median it seems to have seeded out from there into adjacent farmland. In other parts of the country it is such a pest that a hypervirulent form of rose rosette disease was cultured and let loose to clear the multiflora rose out of forestlands. This disease is now infesting and spoiling garden roses over an increasing area.

o

Frankly in WA I have never seen Grootendorst roses along the freeways. What WSDOT plants is seedling rugosas, Rosa rugosa. Cherry red, dark pink, and white, all large single flowers. They dont' plant named varieties usually. Sometimes I see R. nootkana or R. pisocarpa.

I don't know what those roses are in your photos. I do know they're not Rosa rugosa, and they're not Grootendorst. Grootendorsts have small, carnation-like flowers.

Your DOT dept may be able to tell you what they are. Or ask the Portland Rose Society.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 08 at 14:25

If you put your URL in the Optional Link URL slot provided here I may know what roses are in your pictures. Cutting and pasting (into Google) URLs typed out in the Message parts of posts doesn't work for me.

o

Bboy, I have pasted the URL in the "Optional URL link". I hope this works, as I would like to know what you think. As you can see the roses are not single. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Freeway Roses Portland

o

Once again I have been displaying my ignorance in public. I like to shop the Lawyer nursury sale on Memorial Day Weekend and I thought they had a lot of grootendorsts left from their sale to Wash.dot

o

Don't know if you ever found the answer but I believe this link answers your question. http://www.oregonlive.com/hg/index.ssf/2009/08/toughbutpretty_freeway_roses_p.html

o

uh, bboy try pasting the address into the address bar instead of searching google with an address. although, pasting the address into a google search, you get the link as the first hit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here