Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in flower leaves - the cure?

Posted by garland67 WA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 22, 06 at 20:45

I have a problem with bugs eating my flower leaves. Primarily my Dalhia and canna plats. I heard that if you spray the plants with some soapy water, it will keep the pests away. Is this true? Suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in flower leaves - the cure?

Soapy water will kill the pests but you have to hit them to do it. It works on contact only.

o

In Pesticides class, the rule of thumb was holes "in" the leaves as fungus and bacteria which grow in water droplets.

And holes at the edges of leaves as insect or larvae, since that's a common starting point for a meal.

It wasn't an absolute, but it was a good guideline.

o

Garland, dahlia leaves are a favorite for slugs, particularly the young plants, but I've found them as high up as 3 ft on a mature plant. Do you have a regular slug protection plan going? That would be number one thing to try. If you have pets, go for Sluggo or another iron phosphate based product. Stay away from Corry's or metaldehyde based products (very toxic to pets.)

Earwigs are notorious chewers, but mostly on dahlia buds or blooms; not so much on the leaves.

Caterpillars are another source of leaf/bloom eating. Encourage birds or hand pick those yourself and you'll cut down on the damage they might do.

Good luck!

o

Thanks poochella. I have found a few slugs on my plants. I pick them up and discard them. I don't see many though. Can a few slugs do alot of damage?

o

How big are the holes, what shape, and where are they?

o

The holes seem to be on the inside of the leaves. Not very large. Some holes can be up to 1/2 inch. I have found a few slugs in my Garden. I have looked to see if their are critters inside the roled leaves and I don't see any.

o

Some of the shot hole fungus, etc., exude chemicals that burn foliage and the circular oval hole will be relatively smooth edged, possibly with a halo of grey or discoloration. Insects are not consistent with smooth even edged holes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here