Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristinhuey

plants with a nice strong odor

KristinHuey
11 years ago

Hi all,

I live in Seattle and we have a problem with bad odors in our back yard. Our neighbor raises fighting dogs (!!) and hoses the "detritus" against our west fence. It STINKS.

We hope to find some strongly scented plants to plant against said fence to mask the odor.

Some specs:

The area on our side of the fence has strong morning sun until 11, and then goes into total shade. Other possible areas for planting are full sun.

We are seeking very strong, pleasantly smelling plants. Lilacs are an obvious win. Other recommendations will be much appreciated.

I send you all my humble thanks and gratitude for your wise advice.

Kristin

Comments (15)

• plantknitter
    11 years ago

Try Mint and hope it runs under the fence and grows on their side, too.

• Merilia
    11 years ago

As far as a plant that will waft a nice smell (rather than just smelling nice when you stick your nose in it) I like Japanese honeysuckle. I know some people think this is too invasive to grow, but personally I haven't had any trouble with it. It does well in the sun.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

How many weeks during the year do you have fighting dog smell in your backyard? You may need more than one kind of plant to cover the time period. And you might end up with the equivalent of spraying scented Lysol in a Forest Service outhouse--good and bad odors combined.

If these are fighting dogs as used in dogfights, the authorities are interested in removing them.

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

These 4 perennials give a pleasant aroma to our gardens when in bloom. I can smell it from the driveway or across the lawn, so not just up close. In part shade taller plants need staking or can lean against a shrub. All of them I've listed reseed & spread well, so not useful next to more delicate slow growing perennials.

Valerian (6' here, white flowers early summer, reseeds)
    Dame's Rocket (tall & weak stems, more so in evening, very late spring through mid summer)
    Sweet Woodruff, flowers & foliage (midspring, white carpet of flowers)
    fumewort, Corydalis lutea (slug resistant, blue green lacy foliage, yellow flower, reseeding)

fragrant foliage (easy to get starts from friends' gardens)
    Bee Balm, Monarda (doesn't tolerate drought)
    bigroot hardy geranium, G. macrorrhizum

If you brush the foliage more fragrance wafts through the air. Usually, not fragrant unless touched or up close.

You might prefer a mixed hedge of shrubs for more impact...

Here is a link that might be useful: Portland garden writer recommendations

• quillfred
    11 years ago

Are they raising dogs for protection or for actual use in fighting. Please report these people to the police immediately if the latter. Dog fighting is both cruel and illegal. Make it anonymous if you need to.

For the record my favorite fragrant plant would probably be Daphne Odora. It gets my award, tied with Gardenia for strength of fragrance and pleasantness. I think it blooms late Winter/early Spring but I can't grow it here (partner with allergies). There is a hardier Gardenia that might be also good but I haven't tried to grow it.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Your best bet would be harlequin glorybower. Strong, wafting floral fragrance July to September, the time of year when the poop stench is liable to be the most bothersome. Under some conditions the tree can be smelled and enjoyed some distance away, say 100' or so.

Often in stock at a local outlet somewhere in the area in any given year, although with the significant shrinking of tree selections here in recent years maybe not so much now. But you could probably have one shipped here from forestfarm or other out of state supplier.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    11 years ago

Artemisia abrotanum in full sun.

For the part sun spot i would get a strong scented cedar. Or the messiest pine you can find (needles drop on neighbor, mask odor at source).

Heck just go for a western juniper.

• KristinHuey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the great help, and nice ideas, I am making a log of these right now.

As to the strange nature of the situation: yes! they are fighting dogs. he is now, and for more than ten years has been, closely followed by the authorities, who are well aware of his activities, but are not (yet) able to stop him.

as many of you know, this is not uncommon in certain parts of town.

so i very much love the ideas of plants that might go over the fence. And yes I agree, I am hoping to get a sense of when plants are most fragrant, and to choose a set that will, at least, cover dog feces odors for the summertime months.

you guys are awesome and geniuses and I appreciate all your wisdom and experience.

• KristinHuey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the great help, and nice ideas, I am making a log of these right now.

As to the strange nature of the situation: yes! they are fighting dogs. he is now, and for more than ten years has been, closely followed by the authorities, who are well aware of his activities, but are not (yet) able to stop him.

as many of you know, this is not uncommon in certain parts of town.

so i very much love the ideas of plants that might go over the fence. And yes I agree, I am hoping to get a sense of when plants are most fragrant, and to choose a set that will, at least, cover dog feces odors for the summertime months.

you guys are awesome and geniuses and I appreciate all your wisdom and experience.

• dawnbc
    11 years ago

My Stargazer lilies are planted near my back door and are blooming right now. The scent is wonderful and since I usually have the patio door open, get to enjoy the scent inside too.

• Ingrida
    7 years ago

Plectranthus caninus

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plectranthus caninus
    Plectranthus (coleus) caninus
    Scientific classification
    Kingdom:
    Plantae
    (unranked):
    Angiosperms
    (unranked):
    Eudicots
    (unranked):
    Asterids
    Order:
    Lamiales
    Family:
    Lamiaceae
    Genus:
    Plectranthus
    Species:
    P. caninus
    Binomial name
    Plectranthus caninus
    Roth.
    Synonyms

Coleus caninus
    Coleus canina

Plectranthus caninus is a herb in the mint family Lamiaceae,
    native to east Africa and southern Asia. Under the name "Coleus
    canina", it is sold and marketed as a natural repellent to cats and dogs
    (labeled as "Scaredy Cat Plant" and "Piss-off plant"),
    though no
    research currently exists that supports that usage. These plants root
    easily from cuttings or from just touching the ground. They like full
    sun.

Both the leaves and flowers of the plant are sticky to the touch, and have a mild odour not unlike that of marijuana.

• buyorsell888
    7 years ago

Ok if they can't bust him for dog fighting can't he be reported for having too many dogs or for the unsanitary conditions? Vector control? Animal Control? for the barking?

• parker25mv
    7 years ago

The fruits of quince (Cydonia oblonga, I'm not talking about flowering quince here) are extremely fragrant. They can hang on the tree for quite some time and perfume the surrounding space from October to November.

In the wet Northwest fruiting quince can be vulnerable to fire blight, so they are best planted somewhere that gets full sun, and pruned for good air circulation before the heavy rains start in October. The variety 'Aromatnaya' is less vulnerable than others.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Fire blight tends not to be a big issue west of the Cascades. In fact, the occurrence, even in commercial orchards, is quite rare and it is seldom seen in garden settings.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting