Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My flowers flop

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 21:39

My perennial garden is lovely, but I wonder why so many flowers flop. Right now, the gloriosa daisies are flopped, as are the coreopsis. The Painted Daisies are finished now, but they flopped. The Obedient Plant is tied up to keep it from flopping. Peonies, lilies, short plants seem to be ok.
The bed is more shaded than it used to be, and it gets irrigated from the auto system but there are places that are quite dry.
What do you think is the main culprit? Shade, water or thin soil? I appreciate your insight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My flowers flop

It is often shade or overly rich soil that makes perennials flop. Cutting those they have this tendency back by half earlier in the season often really helps.

o

My soil certainly isn't overly rich, so i expect it is the shade. I find it quite frustrating. These perennials were slow growing in our cool, grey spring and then grew very quickly when the sun came out. Thanks for the response.

o

Dotty, I think our weather has had something to do with it at least this year. I've got a shasta daisy (Summer Snowball) in full sun over 5 feet tall. I didn't stake it so right now it's laying flat on the ground :(. This shasta has never grown over 3 foot before and never needed staking.

Annette

o

Hi Annette. The worst ones for me are the Gloriosa Daisies which are 5 feet tall. I was hoping someone would say that they need x fertilizer to strengthen their stalks! I guess there is no quick fix.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 19:24

No quick fix this year.
Move them to an area where they they get more sun, less water and fert, and they will do just fine. Daisies are tough plants. You've been too nice to them. Give em' some tough love.

o

Botann, are you sure you don't have a magic fert? Darn. I didn't think I'd ever be accused of being to kind to my plants I love daisies, so I will try to relocate. Problem is, the darned trees keep growing and before you know it, the sunny spot becomes shady. Thanks for responding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here