Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schizac

First ripe tomato!

schizac
14 years ago

Early Cascade, very flavorful, firm, about 2". Is it going to be a good year for tomatoes in the NW?

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Apparently it's going to be a good year in Edmonds.

• jewell_pnw
    14 years ago

Congratulations! My heirloom "Bonnie Best" has three big ones turning. Should be ready this week. Have never had this many tomatoes on the vine and of good size so early. Going to be a great tomato year!

• lucretia1
    14 years ago

Oh, I'm so jealous! I had to eat a grocery-store tomato BLT yesterday. My biggest ones on the bush are still green and small.

Good going!

• dottyinduncan
    14 years ago

I picked a couple of small ones too! It's going to be a good year. Mine are Saltspring Sunrise, an old variety that was developed for the PNW.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

I went out and checked my tomatoes, and found one red ripe tomato on Principe Borghese.:-) And an orange one on Mormon World's Earliest (apparently not quite earliest). I'm excited, I guess this tomato season is going to be great compared to last year with the cold temps and late ripening. Lots of green tomatoes coming on.

• JudyWWW
    14 years ago

I have NEVER in the 32 years I've gardened on this piece of land had ripe tomatoes this early...usually at this time I have my first tiny fruit sets. On Monday I picked 2 Stupice one of which was 2.5" x 1.5". More Stupice (first year I've tried it) on the way, to be quickly followed by heirloom Matina (great flavor salad size (1.5x 1.5) and Legend (new to me this year). Gold Nugget and Taxi (yellow) are also beginning to turn.
    So far, the best tomato season I have experienced here. jwww

• haramachi
    14 years ago

I second Judywww.

I've had three ripe Stupice of decent size, and several Sungold cherries.

Never before has this happened this early on my small Seattle plot.

• schizac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Santiam will be next for me, several fruits at the orange stage, this heat has its advantages.

A TV weatherman said that Seattle has been way warmer than NYC so far this season.

• plantslayer
    14 years ago

It's shaping up to be a good year in Seattle; I have a big crop of fruit on the plants already, and I actually had three ripe ones (all Siletz, about 1/3-1/2 pound each?) around July 10! If I had beat the July 4 deadline, you can bet I would have started my own thread to gloat about it...

I think we were lucky because I planted stuff out kind of early (late April) in a tunnel cloche, and the weather was pretty obliging in May.

• beluga01
    14 years ago

Black Krim, Roma, and Dr Wyche are near ripe for me. The Krim is red but not yet dark enough to be ripe.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Mormon World's Earliest ripened one 2 oz yesterday, it was good. I'm not growing Stupice or Siletz to compare. Juliet is usually my earliest, but now I'm only growing it from saved seed.