Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First ripe tomato!

Posted by schizac z8 Edmonds WA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 23:00

Early Cascade, very flavorful, firm, about 2". Is it going to be a good year for tomatoes in the NW?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First ripe tomato!

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 23:35

Apparently it's going to be a good year in Edmonds.

o

Congratulations! My heirloom "Bonnie Best" has three big ones turning. Should be ready this week. Have never had this many tomatoes on the vine and of good size so early. Going to be a great tomato year!

o

Oh, I'm so jealous! I had to eat a grocery-store tomato BLT yesterday. My biggest ones on the bush are still green and small.

Good going!

o

I picked a couple of small ones too! It's going to be a good year. Mine are Saltspring Sunrise, an old variety that was developed for the PNW.

o

I went out and checked my tomatoes, and found one red ripe tomato on Principe Borghese.:-) And an orange one on Mormon World's Earliest (apparently not quite earliest). I'm excited, I guess this tomato season is going to be great compared to last year with the cold temps and late ripening. Lots of green tomatoes coming on.

o

I have NEVER in the 32 years I've gardened on this piece of land had ripe tomatoes this early...usually at this time I have my first tiny fruit sets. On Monday I picked 2 Stupice one of which was 2.5" x 1.5". More Stupice (first year I've tried it) on the way, to be quickly followed by heirloom Matina (great flavor salad size (1.5x 1.5) and Legend (new to me this year). Gold Nugget and Taxi (yellow) are also beginning to turn.
So far, the best tomato season I have experienced here. jwww

o

I second Judywww.

I've had three ripe Stupice of decent size, and several Sungold cherries.

Never before has this happened this early on my small Seattle plot.

o

Santiam will be next for me, several fruits at the orange stage, this heat has its advantages.

A TV weatherman said that Seattle has been way warmer than NYC so far this season.

o

It's shaping up to be a good year in Seattle; I have a big crop of fruit on the plants already, and I actually had three ripe ones (all Siletz, about 1/3-1/2 pound each?) around July 10! If I had beat the July 4 deadline, you can bet I would have started my own thread to gloat about it...

I think we were lucky because I planted stuff out kind of early (late April) in a tunnel cloche, and the weather was pretty obliging in May.

o

Black Krim, Roma, and Dr Wyche are near ripe for me. The Krim is red but not yet dark enough to be ripe.

o

Mormon World's Earliest ripened one 2 oz yesterday, it was good. I'm not growing Stupice or Siletz to compare. Juliet is usually my earliest, but now I'm only growing it from saved seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here