Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tiny jumping bugs everywhere!

Posted by lejardin_oregon 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 07 at 23:35

I am hoping someone knows what these critters are! We are just 20 miles east of Salem Or. Every July for about 2 weeks we are infested with these little jumping and flying bugs. We cant sit outside in the evenings as they land and buzz all over your face. They literally hang off the screens and house siding!
We used to think it was because of the many grass seed fields we have nearby, but a friend who lives in Salem said she has them this year too. She had never seen them before. They seem to have about a 2 week life cycle and then they are gone. I have search the internet for info to no avail. Any ideas??

Debbi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tiny jumping bugs everywhere!

We have the same bugs out where we are in Dundee - just west of Newberg. I have no idea what they are though, we're just happy they aren't around the whole entire summer.

o

You'll want to give more of a description than that to get an ID. Tiny - like how tiny? 1/2 inch? 1 millimeter?

Color? shape - fly shape, leafhopper shape? noticeable features like big eyes or long antennae or grasshopper-like hind legs? Wing color? buzzing sounds?

o

• Posted by annz PNW (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 12:00

Probably leafhoppers.
DS's neighbor just harvested his grass-seed fields and said they live there most of the time but after harvest they move into nearby grass/lawn areas.

I have them in my yard also but in DS's yard you can't stand outside without them flying into your mouth!

Here is a link that might be useful: leafhoppers

o

Yes annz I think you are right, they really sound like leaf hoppers. We are right next to a big grass seed field. They havent harvested it yet, but others in the area have been. Seems like when the field turns from green to yellow is when they invade us. They are tiny, brown and little greenish spots. I havent seen any plant damage, they just annoy more than anything.
Now the earwigs are the ones who I seem to have a problem with on the plant damage this year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here