Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea murder mystery

Posted by napalm_beach Western WA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 0:09

Hi folks,

We planted a row of hydrangeas 3 weeks ago. They all get about same sun (the ones on the left just a tad bit more), they get the same water (again, a little more for the ones on the left because they get a bit more sun), there are cedar trees at both ends.

Within 10 days they looked like the photo attached: as you can see it looks like someone took a torch to the ones on the left and the effect tapers off at plant #3.

They were all planted the same way in Cedar Grove Compost mixed with Dr. Earth's Organic Fertilizer.

Is there something in the soil that might be causing this?

Thanks for any insight/guesses you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea murder mystery

More than likely, the water is missing the original root ball. Stick a finger into to it to check.

o

Yes, the root ball is moist (just checked it this morning). When it started browning out we began soaking the base of the plant.

o

With the extreme sun and heat we've had in the NW this month, I would think it's probably just the wrong time to be planting anything, especially a shrub that doesn't do so well in heat and sun. I'd pull the survivors up, put them back in the pots and into the deep shade somewhere, keeping them well watered until the weather cools and the rains return. Then replant them.

o

You were a little late watering the plants. "When they started to brown out", is the clue. By then, the damage was done.
If you keep them watered they should be OK. Just don't let them dry out again.
Mike

o

Consider rigging temporary shade because I'm told this heat will continue.

o

If needed, replacement plants put in next spring will quickly catch up to the others.

o

It's hot!
Temporary shade is a good idea, jean.
I've been out on the Olympic Peninsula for the last three days and came today back to wilting established hydrangeas that I don't normally water. I'll take a look at them in the morning and see how they are doing. They're a long ways from a hose bib.
Mike

o

Doin' fine.
'Weiderspink'
Mike

o

Beach umbrellas work well. I bought several at a Big Lots on the cheap (5 bucks each!) to help along some hostas that had been in the shade but now get a lot of sun due to a limbed up tree. Worked out pretty well and they look cute :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here