Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daphnexduck

Endless Summer hydrangeas

daphnexduck
12 years ago

Has anyone in the PNW grown the Endless Summer hydrangeas? From the hydrangea forum, it seems people in other parts of the country have problems with no blooms and not much growth. Some posts said that they were bred in the Midwest for very cold winters. I'd love to know how they've done so far here as I've just bought three.

Daphne in Tacoma

Comments (13)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Found growing at Bailey nursery by M. Dirr. Origin unknown. Stems of young plants often unable to hold heads up well. Flowers may be more prone to sunburn than some others, do not seem to last very long. Other introductions (such as 'Nikko Blue') circulated here before this came on the scene probably better.

Main selling point is that new growth blooms, so in colder climates freezing of over-wintering flower buds does not eliminate all flowering the following summer.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

By the way I was talking about the blue/pink mophead cultivar 'Bailmer' which is what people are usually thinking of when they call a hydrangea "Endless Summer". The latter is actually a marketing device used to sell a "collection" of dissimilar cultivars, of which 'Bailmer' is only one example.

• madeyna
    12 years ago

Endless summers do wonderfully in the pacific northwest. They seem to need at least three years in ground before the stems get strong enough to hold the flowers up off the ground after a heavy rain . Its not unusually to see one with a flower on every stem . Blushing bride seems to be the earliest bloomer of the series.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

We've had the lacecap one called Twist & Shout since last August, but planted out only this spring. Stems have flopped outward, but there are lots of blooms now that it's been warmer the past month. Early July had one small bloom at first low on the plant, so not showy like now. I sure hope the stems strengthen up for a more upright display.

Compared to my other young hydrangeas that have been slower growing this year with no buds or blooms yet even on the one that has bloomed the past 2 years (once in the pot & last summer in the ground).

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

That one is the most striking in flower of those kinds seen in local outlets during recent years. Last year one place near here had some stunning examples for sale in tubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea macrophylla 'PIIHM-I' PP20,176

• Wayne Reibold
    12 years ago

I have a Twist and Shout I planted last summer, foliage healthy this summer and moderate blooming that is very beautiful shades of blue, love it. I'm thinking over time once plant has been in ground for a few years foliage will get even more full and flowering better yet. I planted a bunch of different hydrangeas last summer and this is probably my favorite.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

The purple in the stems and leaves reinforces the blue of the sterile flowers.

• daphnexduck
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the good info. I've just discovered that Joy Creek Nursery (in Scappoose, OR) has a wonderful selection of hydrangeas, many that bloom on new wood. I think they have a hydrangea garden, too. I've always wanted to visit them, and this has given me a good excuse. I'll check them out this week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joy Creek website

• daphnexduck
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did go down to Joy Creek Nursery. It was about a 2 hour drive from Tacoma. They have a wonderful display garden with lots of hydrangeas there. I ended up purchasing seven good sized hydrangeas (about $16-$18 each) plus other misc. plants, enough to almost fill the back seat and trunk of the car. I felt the trip was well worth it. There's no sales tax in Oregon, so I almost saved the gas it took to get there, and didn't have to pay shipping charges. Plus the hydrangea selection was wonderful, and I got to see them growing in the display garden, although not lots of blooms due to this past hard winter.

The staff were very helpful. They don't do a big Fall sale since they winter over all their plants.
    Daphne in Tacoma

• madeyna
    12 years ago

I,ll have to check them out . I have purchased from Hydrageas plus and was very happy with their plants. They are about 30 minutes to the south of Portland.

• Wayne Reibold
    12 years ago

The Home Depots by me have Twist and Shout Endless Summer hydrangeas nice sized ones for $16 and huge ones for $27

• foxworthy5
    8 years ago

I bought my "Twist & Shout" about a month a go, at Lowes in Tulsa. It's doing well in this sand river bottom.

• ophoenix
    8 years ago

Endless Summer is a winner for me here in Shoreline. I have taken many cuttings and all root quickly and bloom the first year. I don't prune my hydrangeas too much - love the tall rangy look and if the blooms droop it is ok with me. I also planted several Asperas from the Dan Hinkley collection and they are just fabulous but they take two years or so to start to bloom.

Joy Creek is one of my favorite nurseries and their mail order catalog is a text book on hydrangeas. We did visit and it was amazing to see so many interesting and different plants rather than the usual nursery stock. Maurice - the owner - is part of the Great Plants Picks so you know the varieties that they sell have been well trialed in our climate.