Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
broadleaf evergreen shrubs with bronze/purple/red leaves?

Posted by agnieszka z8 WA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 08 at 1:04

I'm interested in broafleaf evergreen shrubs that have dark red/purple/bronze leaves (for any light). Can you give me some ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Agnieszka

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: broadleaf evergreen shrubs with bronze/purple/red leaves?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 17, 08 at 2:08

Berberis x media 'Red Jewel'
Loropetalum chinense - purple-leaved cultivars
Phormium tenax Purpureum Group etc.

o

Thanks bboy! I do have loropetalum chinese and love it! I didn't even think of phormium as a shrub choice but it may be a good option for one of the spots I'm thinking about. I'm not a big fun of berberis though...
Are there any other shrubs with bronze or red leaves that are evergreen?? It seems that it's much easier to find lime green evergreens than dark red...

o

Rhododendron 'Ebony Pearl', Daphne x houttenia, Coprosma 'Roy's Red' or 'Chocolate Soldier', various hebes, Pittosporum tenuifolium 'County Park Dwarf'. And while not exactly shrubs, there are a number of perennials that offer this foliage color and are evergreen - various heucheras, Euphorbia 'Blackbird' and E. amygdaloides 'Purpurea', for example.

o

Sun, Aug 17, 08 at 14:28

The barberry is spiny but when established and full looks almost luscious with its glossy leaves. The purple does not extend evenly throughout all the leaves. I think the only one that gives anything of the appearance of a purple smoke bush and various other all-purple deciduous shrubs is the loropetalum. Unfortunately, like various others listed here (Coprosma, Pittosporum...) it is not fully hardy.

The daphne (spelled houtteana) I have found interesting when seen occasionally here but have also noticed the comment (originating in Britain) that is

Subject to virus and now rare

--Hillier Manual of Trees & Shrubs (2002, David & Charles)

o

I have Leucothoe 'Scarletta' in the garden. Lots of colour all year but especially in the spring with new growth which is red.

o

How about Psuedowintera colorata?
Not sure where you will find it though.
I'm trying some cuttings from mine.

o

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming! :)
I'm going to consider the barberry, rhododendron, Daphne, Pittosporum, and the Leucothoe.

Judy, you're right, I couldn't find Pseudowintera colorata sold online anywhere... I did find some pictures - it's one cool plant!

The effect I'm trying to achieve is indeed an evergreen smoke tree.

o

Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 11:11

If it's a good purple one (multiple introductions are on the market) you've gotten as close as you're going to get already with the loropetalum.

o

You can't have it! It doesn't exist (yet, anyway)! We would all love the effects of an evergreen smoke bush and in an instant gratification society, Mother Nature doesn't give a darn. You can't bribe her, she just doesn't care what you want.

What's so wrong with a smoke bush anyway. Deciduous trees add another form of beauty to the landscape. The frame and texture of bare branches is refreshing.

o

nwnatural, nothing wrong with a smoke bush. In fact, I like them so much that I have three different ones!

I agree that bare branches add interesting structure to the winter landscape. When I design my garden it's all about balance. I try to achieve a balance of different leaf textures and colors, and a balance between evergreen and deciduous plants. Right now I'm just trying to solve the evergreen part to my garden puzzle :)

o

Tue, Aug 19, 08 at 11:57

Deciduous shrubs lack meat. Especially in plantings here in this soft climate broad-leaved evergreen shrubs can and should be used to make up the bulk of plantings, so that yearround structure is achieved.

o

Ah ha!
Here is one to consider:
Ternstroemia, and apparently there is a bronze cultivar.
Mine is just green with some very slight coloration, I got it at Colvos Creek last year.

And if the evergreen part is more important than the bronze/red color, you can consider Drimys lanceolata and Daphnephyllum for their red petioles, Drimys winteri for the blue green leaves, Osmanthus decorus for very dark green foliage.

or you could spray paint an acuba.

Here is a link that might be useful: ternstroemia

o

Thanks for the suggestions! Spray painting is my favorite option, LOL!

o

Have you considered trying one of the viburnums? These are shrub/trees for four seasons! Some are semi-evergreen. Some have fragrant flowers. Some turn red/purple in the fall. Some produce edible berries for birds to eat in the winter. A few bloom in the winter!!! Enjoy the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: FineGardening.com Versatile shrubs

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 1, 10 at 22:05

Rosa mulliganii is fashioned that way and not "rosa mulliganni". As you may know the species name commemorates Brian O. Mulligan, who directed the Seattle arboretum from 1947-1972. The rose was named after Mr. Mulligan because he noticed it was a new species while working in England during the 1920's. So the name consists of mulligan + ii.

o

ok, while you said, "for any light", there are a bunch of evergreen plants that bronze/purple in the winter in sun. would those work?

mahonias, cryptomerias, sunshine blue blueberry. etc, etc.

i guess, you are thinking of non greens NOW. meaning, you want a non green backdrop to your green plants?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 2, 10 at 12:14

There's also Salvia officinalis 'Purpurascens'. Again, not like a purple smokebush or purple barberry in appearance, but it does have purple leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here