Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seen any evergreens croak from borers this year??

Posted by mdvaden_of_oregon West Side of Oregon (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 21, 09 at 1:42

Anything out of the ordinary this year with borers in evergreens?

Just removed a dead Port Orford cedar for someone yesterday, and thought it was probably Phytophthora. As soon as I cut some limbs away, it was evident that borers infested it.

Last spring, I planted 2 Hinoki Cypress at one small project in a west Portland suburb. Two weeks later, I noticed one turning gold. Looked inside the canopy and could see the fine dust and holes above many of the limbs. Won't say which nursery I bought them from, but when I went back, there were upwards of 2 dozen Hinoki's in a few rows with the same problem. They went ahead and gave me a replacement no-charge.

Anyhow, I haven't seen any borer damage on evergreens in the past few years, but lately, twice in just a few months.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seen any evergreens croak from borers this year??

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 21, 09 at 10:39

I think the C. lawsoniana could have had root problems first which then attracted the borers.

A root rot expert contacted to assess some failed C. lawsoniana in a local public planting determined that an agent other than Phytophthora lateralis was involved - in that particular instance.

o

Haven't seen any signs of borers but recently experienced my first encounter with laminated root rot, a new-to-me conifer disease (assume it to be not very common in an urban environment). And sapsuckers seem to be overly interested in birches this season for some reason - more damage from this source this spring than I have ever previously witnessed.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 21, 09 at 23:26

Laminated root rot is very common among Doug firs.

Often urban environments are carved from forested sites.

o

It depends on how urban we're talking :-) In 30 years of gardening/consulting in the greater Seattle area, I'd never encountered it. Within 4 months of relocating to Bainbridge/Kitsap area, I've seen it twice!

I am also rapidly becoming much more familiar with deer and their dining habits. OMG, there's a lot of them around!! They are like squirrels in Seattle - everywhere!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here