Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An Amazing Flower - picture

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 2:09

I saw this Hibiscus at a neighbour's home -- the flowers are dinnerplate size and a show stopping colour. She tells me that they bought the plant last year, it overwintered just fine and is absolutely huge with these wonderful flowers. Any idea what it is? I want one of course...

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Hibiscus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An Amazing Flower - picture

Looks like Hibiscus 'Fireball'. I've seen it available now and again at area nurseries.....or one can do mail order :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus 'Fireball'

o

That's it! The nursery calls it a true showstopper and it's true. My pic doesn't do it justice -- it is loaded with flowers and they are at least a foot across. I didn't know that hibiscus would overwinter here. Thanks Gardengal.

o

You're welcome, Dotty :-) There's quite a few hardy hibiscus, several species of which are native to various parts of this country, and a good number of hybrids like 'Fireball', most which behave like herbaceous perennials here. And then there's Rose of Sharon, Hibiscus syriacus, which is a very hardy (zone 5) shrub form. But not native :-)

o

Dotty, WOW, what a beauty. Let me know if you find anyone up our way carrying it. I might have to shovel prune something to fit it in but you know what they say, when there's a will, there's a way :o).

Annette

o

Gardengal, can I propagate Fireball? The owner said that they "hacked it back" to fit their border...I could sneak in at night and steal a cutting. Or ask them, that might be easier.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 19:34

Divided foliage indicates H. coccineus involvement. If you find something about vegetative propagation of that species, same methods might work for this.

o

Since it is patented, that is technically a no-no :-) I didn't say this but it should strike from softwood cuttings. And ask first....no need to compound the crime!

o

Oh, that is stunning! Looks like it has interesting foliage too.

o

Yes, it has dark foliage which set the flowers off beautifully. Funny, I spoke to a friend yesterday who lives near this flower, and she had the same reaction as me -- almost drove off the road looking at the flower! It's a stunner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here