Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hummingbird moth

Posted by salmonslayer z8 OR (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 2:22

This is a Hummingbird Moth that I seen in my yard today. I have never seen one. Have you seen one? Where?
Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Moth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hummingbird moth

I've never seen one up here, but my sister-in-law in Nevada has them visiting her garden.

o

Cool! I've never seen one either.....always assumed they were limited to warmer, more arid locations but apparently there is one species native to this area. And late August seems to be the preferred time for sightings.

o

It's called a white-lined sphinx. At dusk they will visit the garden. We used to have a long row of 4-o'clocks which they visited every evening. There are many species of sphinx moths in N America. The tomato hornworm is the larval stage of another beautiful one, for example.

Enjoy the show.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: White Lined Sphinx

o

...and Larry's sphinx moth is pictured visiting a petunia; that is very typical of these moths. I had a different sphinx species roosting on the gate a month ago (Portland). They are not often seen because they have a pretty short daily flight time, and at dusk may escape most people's notice whereas hummingbirds stand out in the light of day.

o

I've never caught one in action but I do sometimes come across one resting.

Very nice photo!

o

I think I may have seen one in my garden in SE Portland but I'm not positive.

o

One year I had petunias in hanging baskets and was surprised to see this moth feeding on them at twilight. I live in coastal Northern California (Humboldt County) where hummingbirds abound, but the moth seems to prefer petunias and petunias only.

o

These large moths have a long proboscis and are able to feed at larger flower such as petunias.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here