Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsuki_chan

spring bulbs good for the Willamette Valley?

tsuki_chan
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Corvallis all the way from Texas and am looking forward to planting things I could never grow successfully down south. I'm hoping someone can tell me which tulips and daffs do well in my area and will return with little care.

Also, aside from fall-planted bulbs, is there anything else I can plant successfully in Sept/Oct?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

That is the ideal time to plant all cold-hardy plants.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Virtually any spring flowering bulbs (except for a very few tender, less cold hardy species of narcissus) can be planted and grown successfully here. And no pre-chilling required, as you may have been accustomed to in Texas. Not all tulips will perennialize or return well but that is more to do with their complex hybridization rather than specific growing conditions. Species tulips tend to be the best at returning but the Darwin hybrids seem to have a decent track record as well.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Sept/Oct is the best time to plant almost everything here. :)

• xantippe
    13 years ago

Oh, you will love bulb growing here! I moved from Ohio, and am amazed at how well bulbs live over (and naturalize). I planted about 1000 bulbs, and have done very well with all of them. Some were mixes from Colorblends, but a lot were from Costco, and the Costco ones did amazingly well, and were so much cheaper. Our spring show runs as following: crocus, chinodoxa ("glory of the snow"), early daffodils, early tulips, grape hyacinths, then the larger daffodils and tulips. It was the best money I spent on the garden.

• acw2355
    13 years ago

One of my favorite spring flowering bulbs for the pacific nw is Erythronium "Pagoda". It's a pale yellow flower with trout speckled foliage. Lovely lovely plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Erythronium 'pagoda'

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Did you have any Costco bulbs be mis-labeled? I have only bought a few bags from them and more than half were not what I paid for and not in a good way.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

After some years of buying their bags of bulbs I've developed the impression their supplier is a low baller or they are getting sent a b-grade line, them getting what they are paying for.

Despite the fancy pictures and statements.

When you make cheapness your top priority it doesn't always work in your favor.

When they were getting Camassia leichtlinii and I bought some those were fine. I would have kept buying those but they have not had any.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I'm not doing it again. I got Asiatic instead of Oriental lilies and King Alfred instead of pink/white daffodils.

• xantippe
    13 years ago

Wow, I guess I was lucky! I got what was advertised, and they have done remarkably well.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Not every bag turns out to be a disappointment, by any means. And the way they have been packaged before (and I assume still are) with some types you can often see how big they are without opening the bag.

But that won't help you tell if they are the right cultivar.

Suppliers sending the wrong item is certainly not a peculiarity of CostCo's bulbs, nor does the store necessarily have this problem to an abnormal degree.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    13 years ago

are the prices in the costco store cheaper than the website? basically costco is say $36 for 64 tulip bulbs. colorblends the same price for 100.