Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgwa

Looking for a local gardening guardian angel

bgwa
11 years ago

Hi All - My family recently moved to Clark County, WA, and purchased a home with what appears to be extensive landscaping from two owners in the past (2 - maybe 3). The plants appear to be a little overgrown, underfed, underwatered, some are sick, etc. It makes ID even harder for a newbie like me.

I'm looking for recommendations on who to bring out to help me get things straightened out. We need advise on everything including trees, shrubs, perennials, sprinklers, orchard and veg garden. I tried the local coop extension office - not very helpful about site visits. Are there any local garden clubs? Google couldn't find anything. Help!

Comments (8)

• plantknitter
    11 years ago

there are some nice folks in the Kelso/ Longview area that attend plant trades and hosted one at their place last spring and folks from Portland to Seattle attended. Maybe they know of some resources for you.
    find their post on the northwest EXCHANGE forum and then send them an email.

Here is a link that might be useful: kelso/longview swap

• bejoy2
    11 years ago

When my Mom and I come down to visit our friend in Kelso (hopefully this weekend), we can stop by and see if we can identify some of your plants. In fact, since we're going down to pick up some plants from her, we might even have some plants for your yard. And, of course, you are welcome to come to my plant trade on Sept 15 in Olympia, where I will have lots and lots of free plants.

I have a degree in horticulture, and while I don't have a lot of experience with fruit orchards, I can certainly advise you on landscaping, sprinklers, and vegetable gardens. I work in a local nursery, and I've done the same for many customers. Send me an e-mail at tammyinolympia@yahoo.com.

Tammy

• pat_tea
    11 years ago

I am the president of the Kalama Wa. Garden Club. Where in Clark County are you? I have members in Vancouver. We are in Cowlitz county but are neighbors and would be happy to help anyway I can. You can email me as well, Pattisherwood@Kalama.com.

• bejoy2
    11 years ago

Sorry we missed you on our plant run. Perhaps we'll see you at the plant trade on Sept 15?

• bgwa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK - so I'm new to the PNW and new to GW. I think I've been responding to the messages as I get them but I'm not sure my responses are going anywhere.

So...I found a reference to the Battle Ground garden club in the local paper-newspaper so I've got high hopes there, if I can remember to actually attend their meeting.

Around here, crazy busy. 15 yards of compo-stuff, rented a sod-cutter, 13-hp tiller (thankyouthankyouthankyou I didn't have to shovel that), hand dug and transplanted a 12' maple (too close to the house), removed a 12' spruce (don't know what kind but way too close to the house). Turned out the spruce was planted in the ground on an impermeable plastic disc, wrapped in some sort of root-binding plastic, and STILL it thrived where it was planted.

The blisters from last weekend are starting to heal so we're making plans to get at it again this weekend.

• laurell
    11 years ago

Bejoy/Tammy -
    If you don't mind me asking, what nursery? A close friend of my best friend's family growing up in Olympia worked at a nursery and I am imagining a strange coincidence....

• bejoy2
    11 years ago

Johnson's Nursery on Spurgeon Creek Road, off the Yelm Highway, not too far from the Amtrak Station.

• laurell
    11 years ago

Well then you must know a family with 3 daughters that your own daughter knew? How small the Internet is! I am Clares friend. :-)