Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tastytravels_gw

Fall/Overwinter Vegetable Garden

tastytravels
13 years ago

Hi all, just wondering what you plan on planting for your fall and/or overwinter vegetable garden.

Comments (8)

• hemnancy
    13 years ago

I already wrote about this topic on another thread here. My experience is that seeds have to be planted before July 15 to get big enough to overwinter successfully. Started plants might be different.

Here is a link that might be useful: other thread

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    13 years ago

first of all, its all going to depend on the crop. so, you know, follow specific advice for specific plants.

but as for general advice, i find that the earlier i put out fall crops, the more likely i have heat problems with them. say, you take a weekend at the coast during a heatwave. that can toast up all sorts of smaller starts and seedlings.

so planting them later will give them fewer chances to get caught in a heatwave, but less chance to grow in time.

• pdxfarmer
    13 years ago

Using Portland Nursery's veg. planting guide as a reference, I recently planted basil, arugula, peas (a little late but I'm hoping they will do okay), swiss chard. Also plan on another sowing of lettuce, kale and spinach before the end of August.

Here's a link to the calendar

http://portlandnursery.com/plants/docs/veggies/veggie_calendar.pdf

• xantippe
    13 years ago

pdxfarmer, I'd never seen that list! It's great! We're just getting into vegetable growing, after years of perennials and herbs, so we need all the help we can get. Thank you.

• stolenidentity
    13 years ago

For the fall/winter garden, I put seeds of root veggies in the sections of the garden I've just harvested. Lots of roots like the cold, and they keep in there once they're done, too.

• greenelephant
    13 years ago

Here in Redmond (zone 7b)I've seen a gardener who grows cabbage and broccoli as perennials, getting 3 years out of each plant. He overwinters the stalk + root with a little mulch. Garlic and shallots do well when planted in October and harvested the next summer. Fava beans live through cold weather. Leeks get fatter and fatter though the winter. Brussels sprouts grow on into the winter. Carrots, rutabegas, turnips, can be left in the ground and pulled throughout winter. Horseradish is fully perennial. I've turned up potatoes accidentally in the spring before they germinate and they are delicious.

• greenelephant
    13 years ago

dear Tastytravels,

I got hold of a good book. "Winter Gardening in the Maritime Northwest: Cool season crops for the year-round gardener" by Binda Colebrook, Sasquatch Books, Seattl, 1989, ISBN 0-912365-21-8.

Happy New Year,

Jim

• tastytravels
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jim, I'll see if my library has that book. Sounds interesting. How did everyone else make out overwintering veggies? I had big plans but didn't have enough energy to follow through.