Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spring_chicken

Any one grow Camellia sinensis?

spring_chicken
17 years ago

I have finally quit the coffee. I started drinking tea, and since tea is in the same family as Camillia, I was thinking that it would be fun to try to grow. How does it do here? - Paul

Comments (17)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

Camellias in general do quite well here - tea camellias benefit from our damp, rainy season but would appreciate partial shade and regular deep irrigation during our dry summers. And they grow rather slowly. Quality teas are harvested from only the buds and top two leaves of any stems, so don't plan too many tea parties any time soon :-) An established tea plant (commercially grown) will produce about 3,000 harvestable leaves annually - sounds like a lot but this is equivalent to only around a pound of processed leaves.

Just an FYI, but tea contains significant amounts of caffeine also, depending on type and method of brewing/infusion, so the switch from coffee may not have significant benefits other than taking advantage of green tea's antioxident properties, which are also significant.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Not only same family, but same genus. Slow, small bush with small, fragrant, nodding flowers in autumn. One or two cultivars common in garden centers.

• hemnancy
    17 years ago

I have one that is at least 5-6 yrs old. It has an east-facing exposure by a concrete porch so has cold protection, not that it needs it. They are attractive with glossy leaves like the usual Camellia leaf but smaller, with a less than 1" white flower. I am bad about actually using mine for tea, but I have read that a lot of valuable antioxidants are in the leaf but not water-soluble, so I have considered drying some leaves and grinding them into powder in a blender and stuffing capsules with them. I have some tea powder but it is very bitter.

• spring_chicken
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great info! Thanks.

GardenGal - I stopped drinking about 3 quad shot espressos a day in favor of a cup or two of tea a day. My body is thanking me. I feel mellow instead of stressed all the time. I also have energy all day long, instead of puttering out at the end of the day.

Another question. How fast do they grow, and to what size?

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Inches per flush. I haven't seen one here more than about waist high, maybe a little more. Hardiness varies with cultivar, tea from warmer climates said to be more mellow.

• botann
    17 years ago

I grew one for about 12 years. It got barely over 4 ft. tall with small blossoms. Somebody wanted it more than I, so I sold it. Unremakable is the best way I can describe it.
    I never missed it.

• henryt
    17 years ago

I have had C. sinensis 'Teabreeze' in the ground for 3-4 years now, still under 2' tall and wide. Growth is very slow in our cool climate, especially as the new growth is much enjoyed by insects, but it soldiers on... Situated in open shade under the eaves on the south-east side of our house, it has never flowered. Too much shade? Not much to look at, true; it is slowly disappearing behind more vigorous plants. Nevertheless it has conversation value doesn't it! I believe special preparation is necessary before you can consume it. Someday.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Maybe it is too dry there under the eaves. If you are getting notching it is weevils and they are all over it because it is under the eaves, moved out under the open sky this might actually clear up. I had a 'Trilby' rhododendron that became overhung by a rapidly growing coast redwood, resulting in weevils turning it to confetti. Moved out from under the tree it soon became free of conspicuous damage.

• JudyWWW
    17 years ago

I have Teabreeze and Blushing Maiden. They ahve been in about 5 years and are in 75% full sun with some east wind exposure and have made it through all of our winters well. The only problem is that deer love them and of course spraying them with deer repellant like I do other camellisas would ruin the tea. Fortunatley they respond well to deer pruning. They are about 3.5 feet from original 1+foot. Unfortunately the deer like those same tender leaves that would make good green tea. Just pick and dry for a few hours in the sun and then infuse for good green tea. jwww

• henryt
    17 years ago

Thanks Ron et al. I had been neglecting that plant and this thread has prompted me to give it some badly needed attention. I'll transplant it this fall.

• silver_creek
    17 years ago

I have a Teabreeze in 75% sun, sandy soil, and it is doing quite well. It sulked the first 2 years in the ground, but this year put on a good flush of growth and looks great. I planted it planning on harvesting for tea; the foliage is not as nice as many other camellias, and I haven't seen flowers yet. Since it is doing well, I probably will add a couple of additional bushes- there is a cultivar from Korea that has red- tinged new growth that might have more ornamental value.

• albertine
    17 years ago

Ron, could you elaborate a little more on weevils? I have what sounds like that damage on several plants and don't have the space to not have them under the eaves - one small Itea illicifolia that I'm trying to get going against a north wall is getting a lot of damage. Any control suggestions?

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

For some ideas from another recent thread...

Here is a link that might be useful: Weevils

• hemnancy
    17 years ago

How about some other tea plants that are evergreens? For instance, Epimedium- similar to ginseng, energizing, increases bone density. It makes a nice groundcover in part shade to shade and has little flowers in spring.

• albertine
    17 years ago

oops. Must have more coffee. Thanks for pointing out that thread.

• spring_chicken
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welll...... What do you all know about epimediums? I need ground cover, and tea. Any suggestions? Evergreen is a plus. So is low growing. Price is always a factor too.

What else can I grow to eat that I may not know about? I am slowly turning my little bit of suburbia into an edible landscape, minus the flowers. Fruit trees, berries, raised garden beds, grapes, and adding more as I go.

• hemnancy
    17 years ago

Epimediums have very nice foliage, spread well over time in shade. Collector's Nursery specializes in varieties of
    Epimedium, but lots of nurseries probably carry the more common ones. I also like Pulmonarias as foliage plants, and for spring bloom, but haven't tried making tea from them. Blueberries fit beautifully into a landscape. I consider them attractive shrubs with great fall color. There are evergreen varieties as well. Of the fruiting native plants, Oregon Holly Grape is an atractive evergreen with edible fruit. Salal ditto but can be rather invasive. Oregon Holly Grape also has medicinal uses. Wintergreen is an slowly spreading evergreen groundcover with glossy leaves, white tubular flowers, and edible berries. Aronia make eventually large shrubs and can be loaded with very nutritious berries, not good raw but good cooked, high in antioxidants. I haven't had any disease problems with them.

I have had disease problems with the stone fruits- cherries, plums, and peaches, so am getting more interested in mulberries. The weeping one is very attractive and has edible berries hidden well by the leaves. I got mine at Burnt Ridge Nursery reasonably priced.

I also like apples- especially Liberty and early apples like Lodi and William's Pride, and pears.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21