Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llaurell

flower-carrying bee

llaurell
10 years ago

The other day for the first time in my life (I hope it is not the last time!) I saw a vivid blue insect fly by me and land on the salal leaf. It was a small bee carrying a flower head of the rock cress nearby. According to my Google search, there are unique bee species that build their nest from leaves and flower petals. I live in the southwestern tip of Vancouver Island. Did anybody see flower-carrying bees in the Pacific North West or any other place?

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

I've seen bright metallic green bees here for years in the past, if I remember right these were leaf-cutter bees.

• Christina818
    10 years ago

What I have seen this year that I have never seen before is a bee that is mostly black with thin stripes. One was carrying a fly and the other an ant. Very strange! I would have much preferred to see one carrying a flower.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Robber flies fly around with captured insects. Flies have two wings and bees, four.

Haven't seen bees carrying flowers, but metallic blue, green, and green with yellow/black abdomen bees have been in my yard over the years.

Leaf-cutting bees typically do not have metallic markings; sweat bees and "metallic green bees" (a literal common name!) do.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Yes, I wasn't sure about the leaf-cutting going with the metallic green. Other leaf-cutter bees I have seen were not colorful.

Bees are not predatory so you are seeing something else, such as the robber flies suggested. I think even bald-faced hornets (these are also black and white) would be expected to mash the prey into a ball before taking it to the nest. I once saw one kill a house fly and butcher it in such a manner.

• llaurell
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your follow-ups. Now I have realized I had better explain myself better: I saw a honey colored insect just like European honey bee, flying with a bright blue flower. I apologize for my poor English writing. (English is my second language. Excuse!! Excuse!!) Anyway next time I see "My Bee" I hope I have a camera handy. Meantime I would like to think I saw a bee collecting flower petals for her nest.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

A picture would be nice, I am also interested in the Google search you did, either the search words you used or a link to one of the resulting web pages you found.

• llaurell
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Google search words are: "flower carrying bee" and "flower petal carrying bee". There are a few interesting articles and photos. One of the links is: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-05/19/discovered-unique-bee-nests-made-out-of-petals

• dottyinduncan
    10 years ago

You made me look at a bumble bee carrying a flower petal this morning, but it dropped it almost as soon as I saw it. Interestingly, it kept going to the almost finished flowers on the salvia "hot lips" which dropped off because of the bee's weight. there is a myriad of fresher flowers (which it ignored), before flying away empty-handed, so to speak. Bee-haviour, very strange.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Thanks for that info, llaurell. The article and other search results refer to a unique, recently-discovered Eurasian bee.

The more local (Canada) bee you saw was most likely one of the leaf-cutter bees that found the whole flower to be the right size for its purpose. The bee would have been a female, as you thought.

• bluewillow09
    10 years ago

I enjoyed reading about those bees very much!