Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maplecat_gw

rubus parviflorus - Invasive?

maplecat
13 years ago

I came across a plant/bush on my property that I have been nursing along for the past couple of years because it was so beautiful. I finally ID'd it as thimbleberry, as finally there was some fruit on it, just ripening now. I love this plant, everything about it. I don't know/can't remember how it got to the place it is now, but I grab seeds, cuttings from everywhere, especially camping trips, so who knows.

But my concern is, as a native berry, will it spread like blackberries (which are a constant battle with me)? I wouldn't mind some controlled spread of this plant, just not like blackberries, which I have to chop back into the woods 3 or 4 times a year. Any experiences that anyone can share about this plant would be most appreciated.

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Because it is a native plant, by definition thimbleberries are not considered invasive (unlike Himalayan blackberries, which are NOT native and ARE considered invasive). But they can be aggressive spreaders, both by underground rhizomes or by seeding, courtesy of birds. Although the berries do not hold up well, this plant is sometimes grown commercially for jam purposes -- I should think you could grow them in a cultivated environment similar to raspberries.

It is considered a succession plant, colonizing disturbed sites until shaded out by the canopies of larger growing species.

Here is a link that might be useful: thimbleberry fact sheet

• maplecat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, very informative. Sounds like it will spread quite a bit, but it is such a pretty plant, that may be ok in the wilder back 40 of my place. Thanks again.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    13 years ago

i would guess its no more aggressive than raspberries. which are easy to control, but requires some labor. generally, you just dig up the runners, put them in a plastic pot you want to recycle, then post "free native thimbleberries" on c/l and they will be gone in 15 minutes.

thimbleberries are great fresh eating. probably my favorite native berry.

• maplecat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yes, they are very good (and tart), and hard to get off the bush. Had my first one a couple of days ago. Thanks for the CL tip, which I never would have thought of myself. I can totally see why someone would want this plant. I want this plant! :). From the flowers, to the berries, to the way the leaves look when they first come up, to the height, it is so beautiful. The berries look so pretty too, I bet they would look good in arrangements. It seems like it grows pretty good in the shade, which is where mine is. Thanks again.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Does not produce the large, arching, quick-spreading canes of Rubus armeniacus and R. laciniatus.

• hemnancy
    13 years ago

They are very difficult to eradicate. Perhaps I didn't dig deeply enough, but they will keep coming back. Also they become a big stand then they flop- the whole thing. They are not evergreen so not attractive in the winter. I like the taste and have resigned myself to them in a few places but the yields are very low.

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

I've seen them contained in a parking strip. There is a minor thimbleberry industry in northern Michigan.

In this area I have to cover about a half-mile of roadside plants to get a quart of berries. Takes several hours.

It is best to tap the cane tip with one hand and a ripe thimbleberry will fall into the other hand or container.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

I wouldn't gather from roadsides due to pollution from cars and the use of herbicides in maintaining roads. Soils near old roads contain lead, brake linings emit asbestos. Extension used to say home food gardens should be at least 100' from major routes.

• maplecat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Over the past couple of years, I kept cutting my original patch back because I didn't know what it was, and I thought it looked very cool. If I am remembering this correctly, the leaves are red tinged when the first come up. I thought it was some sort of maple, (which I would pull up), but I knew it wasn't. This year, I let it get the big white flowers and berries. It would seem like the constant cutting back has been good for it, because there are a lot of berries, and the plant has topped out at about 3.5 feet. I did notice a bigger stand of it mixed back in with the border shrubs, very close, so it must have gotten there by the underground runners. So it will spread, back to my original dilemma, do I keep it or not. Probably, I am kind of in love with this plant. Thanks for the responses, it is so helpful to hear others experiences and opinions