Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarleta_gw

dried tomatoes

scarleta
14 years ago

Anyone doing this? Is it worthwhile.Do you keep them frozen after?

Comments (5)

• flora2
    14 years ago

Yes, I have done it. Worth it? It depends. You sometimes wonder when you go to big discount stores and find them very cheap. But, then...if you enjoy the process and there is certain allure in using your own produce in the middle of winter. I do put them in a freezer bag and keep them frozen--just to be make sure there is no bacteria growing. I think you should try it once and see how you feel about the experience.

• scarleta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Flora: I have never done it before.How do you do it?

• dawiff
    14 years ago

scarleta, you can dry tomatoes in your oven, but you will need to leave it on for 8 - 10 hours at a low setting. So you might want to wait till the weather really cools off a bit more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instructions for oven-drying tomatoes

• scarleta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great link Dawiff: I shall get going and start the job.Yes its hot, but my tomatoes just keep maturing and i have to keep up with them.

• flora2
    14 years ago

Hi
    Great link. Instead of the oven method (which can be pricey) I have used a dehidrator as well. They are not expensive and if you use it every year I will be worth the investment. Believe me, they are quite inexpensive sometimes.
    After they are dried I put them (like the link says) in olive oil and keep them in the refrigerator. They don't last forever and there is risk of bacteria growing so I try using them within a week--which is no problem because I use them in salads and stews, soups, etc. They are really wonderful soaked in olive oil (plus I use the oil for salad dressings, etc)
    If you just want to preserve your tomatoes sometimes, when I am in a rush, I just cut them in quarters and stick them in the freezer in a freezer bag. They work well in soups and stews. Hope this helps.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!