Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westgate_gw

fragrant lillies

westgate
11 years ago

I have lillies in my garden, but names long forgotten. Now a friend who has seen them wants to purchase specifically fragrant varieties. Any suggestions?

Comments (11)

• flowerpowereverett
    11 years ago

To my nose, the most fragrant lillies are the Oriental lillies. I love and grow Stargazer, Casa Blanca, and Muscadet. I also like the Heirloom: Black Beauty and
    Chinese Trumpets: Golden Splendour, Pink Perfection and Regal album.

• westgate
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much..... I'll pass the list along to my friend.

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

I planted one bulb of the Oriental Stargazer in an 18" wide pot to ensure good drainage. There's enough light for it to bloom on our part shade patio & those blooms last longer because of the shade.

The 10 or so blooms fill the yard with a sweet scent more noticeable when there isn't much of a breeze. I had them out front in the edible gardens for the 1st year, but the deer ate the buds, so we moved it to the fenced yard.

We put a decorative metal trellis behind it in the ground to help support the stems better. When in bloom or full bud they tend to lean. Might not lean so much if in full sun.

I add a small amount of organic fertilizer in spring, a light mulch of dried grass clippings in June, and water about every week if there isn't rain. After blooms have dropped I remove about 6", but keep the stems until they're completely dry. I'll then repot it for the 2nd time since 1st planting about 5 years ago.

• Wayne Reibold
    11 years ago

I love Tom Pouce fragrant oriental lilies, also prefer Starfighter over Stargazer (like the white outer band the Starfighter has). Attaching a pic of Tom Pouce this year in my garden, wish I could send beautiful scent too! :)

• westgate
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the wonderful tips, everyone! I plan to buy some of these for my garden too!

• flowerpowereverett
    11 years ago

ooohhh, that Tom Pouce is a real beauty! I need to get one, where can I buy it? Thanks, Ruth

• Wayne Reibold
    11 years ago

I bought some at a local nursery (Alpine Nursery in Puyallup), I think it goes by different names, have seen one that looks the same in Brecks catalog under the name Lombardia.

• flowerpowereverett
    11 years ago

Thanks for that info wynswrld98, and luckily for me, I happened to be at Skye Nursery this morning and found Tom Pouce there(and blooming!) I'll have to look for Starfighter, Skye's didn't have it!

• kristincarol
    11 years ago

It is my understanding that the Stargazer is a cross between Oriental and Asiatic lilies, the first of its kind. It was bred near where I live by Leslie Woodriff, who was a wizard with begonias, as well.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

I find the species lilies and Orienpets to have more garden staying power than Orientals including 'Stargazer'. 'Tom Ponce' petered out on me and is no more. :(

I have L. lankongense and rubrum and rubrum album. 'Black Beauty' is simply outstanding. My 'Luminaries' is ten feet tall and scents the entire back yard. I have 'Silk Road' and 'Scheherazade' too.

I don't have any Asiatic lilies. If they aren't fragrant I don't want to give them space. :D

Here is a link that might be useful: The Lily Garden

• Wayne Reibold
    11 years ago

Most of my Tom Pouce bloomed early in the season before our above normal heat set in and they lasted quite a long time. From my experience once temps 80+ arrive lilies are not happy and show it by the blooms fading pretty quickly. I have my whole place on a drip system so water isn't the issue but I just don't think they like a lot of heat re: maintaining their blooms.