Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caryopteris incana

Posted by klew Z7b/8, NE PDX, OR (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 12:03

Wondering about the flop-factor.

I want an upright, late-blooming dark blue perennial. Found color I like, but before I buy eight of 'em I'd like to know what experience others have had with Caryopteris incana generally.

Thanks, as always.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caryopteris incana

Not known to flop at all. Truly much more of a shrub than any sort of herbaceous perennial in our climate, it develops a sturdy woody framework that holds itself up well. Although it can and often does get pruned back hard here in late winter or early spring (similar to buddleia), it more frequently dies to the ground in colder climates, so far less likely to develop that self-supporting woody structure.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 16:58

Dryland shrub wanting full sun and good drainage, as do lavender, rosemary, rock rose etc. Rounded, spreading gray bush, wider than high - not a vertical herbaceous perennial for typical mixed border conditions. For alternative suggestions describe site conditions, and growth habit etc. desired, including whether spike-shaped (delphinium) or round (aster) flowers are wanted.

o

I'm not sure exactly how "dryland" shrub translates from a plant native to large areas of the far east. Only resemblance to any of the aforementoned Mediterranean type plants is that it shares a love of sun and good drainage. As do countless other shrubby choices. Not at all sure why one would be discouraged from using in a mixed perennial border -- as stated, in colder climates this is planted and treated as a dieback perennial

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 0:14

Characteristic of limestone soils in nature, like lavender often dies out in gardens if conditions too "good". Shares with aforementioned types the gray foliage of plants wanting sun and good drainage. Rated quite cold hardy, it seems dying down in cold climates might be related to placement in unsuitable soils or problems with climate (or exposure) other than how cold it got.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here