Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluewillow09

What to use for nitrogen?

bluewillow09
11 years ago

My backyard borders have been looking stressed and yellowish all year so I did one of those soil tests you can buy at the garden center. Ph came out about 7, pretty neutral, only the nitrogen came out very low.

Are these tests very accurate?

What are everyone's favorite nitrogen sources?

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Home soil tests are NOT accurate! Not even sure why they bother including nitrogen as one of the nutrients they test for....can't be done to any degree of accuracy with the stuff they provide and even professional soil labs require some pretty sophisticated testing methodology to determine nitrogen levels.

FWIW, nitrogen is the most mobile of any of the required plant nutrients and often tests deficient, even when not, as it may exist in an inaccessible form. And now is not a very good time to apply any synthetically derived nitrogen, as it will produce rapid, lush growth that has insufficient time to harden off before winter. Any fertilizing that is done late season should be very low on the nitrogen concentration.

Mulching with compost is an excellent way of supplying any additional nutrients that may be required. And will deliver in a "slow-release", extended manner over the course of the winter. Otherwise, good organic sources of nitrogen are blood meal (attracts wildlife!), alfalfa meal or cottonseed meal. The last is an excellent natural acidifier as well. These should be applied in early spring as the soil starts to warm.

• bluewillow09
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, gardengal. My plants are definitely hungering for something, if the soil test is not accurate, what do you suggest?

I usually put down composted steer manure in the spring but i didn't get to it this year. Blood meal seems a little expensive to put down in a large area? Where does one buy alfalfa or cottonseed meal?

Thanks!

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

If you like the steer, use that. Put it on now.

• bluewillow09
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, bboy, I'll do it.

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

If you've not already purchased the steer manure & spread...

Purchase alfalfa or cottonseed meal at a feed store instead. We've used the alfalfa pellets (not rabbit feed) sold in the purple & green bag for horses 40# for about $10. That one bag goes a long way as you don't use much.

Spread a handful per blooming shrub spread underneath and broadcast around perennials mixed up a bit with the existing mulch to blend in. The pellets expand when wet & dissolve in our fall rains. Try not to pile it up too much as it can get smelly. Do not put in planting holes as it heats up. If you don't have mulch spread on your beds, wait until the fall rains return before spreading it.

Another way to use it is to put a handful in a watering can for a few days & water your plants with it. Because it is alfalfa hay there is bulk in the bottom of the can that clogs the rose end, so remove it to allow emptying of the can. Also avoid watering foliage. This shouldn't burn your plants.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Mulching before it cools down and becomes wet again in fall helps retain soil warmth. You are also not walking on soggy beds (unless you have been watering enough to produce that effect). The driest period in western WA is second week of July to third week of August. By the end of August showers are returning, which then build in frequency for the next two months, to the annual peak in mid-November - the stormiest month of the year.