Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An Impossible Plant required

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 12:18

We are required to put some landscaping into an impossible situation and I thought I would see if there is a miracle plant that would survive. It is a little 10 foot strip on a commercial property that is a puddle in the wintertime and waterless in the summer. We are supposed to have a hedge, not more than 3 feet high. Personally, I think plastic would be best, but our city council knows better! Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An Impossible Plant required

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 12:27

Why is it a puddle? Heavy, compacted soil? If they will let you excavate and replace the soil (no buried utilities or maintaining of public access involved) or even dump better soil on top, plant in that (make a berm) then all you have to do is plant drought resistant plants. There is a ton of small shrubs that will survive our summers here (once established) if the soil is open enough for them. Think rock roses, junipers, various other Mediterranean style climate plants commonly seen here.

o

Callistemon sieberi. Just be sure to find some that are correctly labeled!

o

Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 0:02

If you are supposed to produce a full-looking planting ("hedge") you won't get it from that one.

o

Callistemon sieberi is a variable plant with many forms - I think I have five or six and none of them has ever been winter damaged. Some of them have a very dense habit. I do have one form with very prickly leaves that is not at all dense and would not make a good hedge unless pruned regularly.

o

Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 13:00

Very dense as in a yew, holly or box? That may be the kind of appearance being called for.

o

How about that short laurel cultivar that's in all the big parking lots around here? I thought I remember somebody calling it persian laurel, but I'm not sure. Leaves darker green & slightly narrower than English laurel. Tough as nails.

o

Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 14:33

'Otto Luyken' will not want to sit in puddles for long periods and often has a terrible problem with Prunus Shot Hole fungus.

In time it grows well above head height, although this does not happen overnight.

o

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about a berm bboy, it might work. I will research suggestions to see if they are on the approved list for our city. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here