Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veggie gardening in Vancouver, BC?

Posted by awoogle (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 23, 09 at 12:18

Long story short, I'd like to grow as many of my own vegetables as possible, as produce in Vancouver is (like everything else) anything but cheap. I also have a couple of major restrictions:

-I have perhaps a 1x4 meter area to work in.
-This area gets quite a bit of shade from an overhead maple tree, though I guess that won't be as much of a problem come winter.
-My soil is fairly sandy, though it's getting better with the help of compost and manure.

With this in mind, does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of vegetables would be good for me to grow, and when? Any suggestions would be most helpful, as the entire yield from my garden in three months has been about 10 peas, 6 burgundy beans, and half a dozen tomatoes that have been stolen by squirrels...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veggie gardening in Vancouver, BC?

Sorry to hear you only had 10 peas? How many did you plant? Did they all sprout? or something like slugs consumed them when they were young and tasty?
tomatoes are still growing so you should be getting more same for beans.Beans should be picked up young if you let them go too far the entire plant stops producing concentrating its energy on seed production so maybe that's the case. Its important for you to know why such poor results?It will be easier to plan the garden when you know why you are only getting few peas, beans etc.
You may consider to prune your maple a bit to allow more light ( it will re grow )
Most important for you is really to find out why such poor results.Our Vancouver summer has been incredible and most people have abundance of veggies right now.

o
RE: Veggie gardening in Vancouver, BC?

It's difficult to speculate on why you've had such poor performance from your veggie garden, but I'd surmise lack of sunlight and less than ideal soil conditions are contributing. Most vegetables prefer 6-8 hours (or more) of full sun to grow and produce well - shading from a large tree canopy during the height of the growing season can certainly have an adverse impact. Then too there is the question of how close the maple is to the planting area - most maples produce very widespreading, close to the soil surface root systems that make it very difficult for smaller plants nearby to compete for nutrients and soil moisture. Sometimes it is possible to overcome this situation by planting in raised beds but if too close to the maple, the tree roots will invade the raised beds as well.

Is it possible to relocate your vegetable garden to an area that is open to more sun and well away from any large trees? You will get much better results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here