Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passionvine offshoots?

Posted by ellen_portland z8 OR (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 28, 10 at 12:29

I am getting shoots of my passionvine 2-4 feet away from the plant. They are appearing out of nowhere ;-) I have dug up/pulled these shoots and put them in water where they have been quite happy.

My question is, can/should I just keep them in water over the winter or should I pick another location in my garden and hope they take root?

This plant has not produced a flower this season :-( I replaced one that had problems since our hard winter 2 years ago, but may have left some roots from it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passionvine offshoots?

Looks like you only have a couple months left before the tops get frozen back there in Portland. Some of them might make it, but if you really want to be sure better keep them protected. How about overwintering in soil?

o
RE: Passionvine offshoots?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 28, 10 at 14:25

I have had it run also.

o
grrrnthumb, Passiflora caerulea

I have some 15 year old Passiflora caerulea along with some white variety of that species, and the trunks are well over 1" in diameter and have never frozen back in my yard. I would think that depending on the species, there is a reasonable chance the suckers would survive the winter if they had a chance to establish themselves. Been there done that many times, just to give them to friends.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here