Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tufgut

Salem Area Plant Exchange? Having Fun with Nasturtiums

martinp
18 years ago

My mother gave me some dried nasturtium seeds from her yard, and they actually grew for me here in Salem! Now they are dropping seeds, and I'm collecting them and drying them on the counter in the kitchen.

This is great fun! I'm just starting to realize why my parents loved plants. Anyone know of a way to exchange plants and seeds here in Salem, Oregon? Also, are there other "easy" plants like nasturtiums that I could have fun with collecting seeds to trade and reuse year after year?

Thanks,

Martin

Comments (7)

• Patrick888
    18 years ago

How about sweet peas, morning glory, marigolds, zinnias, scarlet runner beans, hyacinth beans, snapdragons, black-eyed susan, cosmos, cleome, poppies....the list could go on and on.

Keep in mind that seeds from hybrid plants may not give you flowers that look exactly like the seed mother. But that can be half the fun.

Patrick

• martinp
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Patrick, that is great! Thanks, I've written these plants down, and I'll keep my eye out for them. I'm sure looking forward to getting something else to grow. Those nasturtiums were so easy. I still can't believe they grew, and now have seeds!

Thanks,
    Martin

• nwrose
    18 years ago

Hey, now your ready to try cuttings. Things like roses,mint, hydrangias, Butterfly Bush,Mums, sedums, many of the herbs, most stems with square stems.
    Do what my mom taught me, "Just put it in the ground and see if it grows. If it does, it is free, if it dosen't, it is no big deal." It is so much fun to see it grow and to know you did it!!
    Go for it!
    Smiles,
    D...

• martinp
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, I've tried cuttings with a couple plants that I really wanted to grow, but they didn't make it. My Mom can do it, but I'm doing something wrong (maybe picking the wrong plants, LOL).

I bought some "rooting" powder. The directions are to wet the stem and push it into the powder, then pull it out and stick it in the ground. I was wondering, could I just put the powder in some water, and put the stem in the water to see if roots start to form? I was thinking this might work better, but I'm not sure...

Thanks,
    Martin

• elaine8_gw
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I think rooting powder is to expensive for using in water. Why not just try the water without an additive. If you have any pussy willow cuttings you can put them in water for awhile and then use the willow water for rooting your cuttings. The water will act like your rooting hormone.

• martinp
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Elaine, what a great idea! I need to plant a pussy willow tree on our property somewhere. :)

Martin

• mallowmallow
    18 years ago

hi martin..i was wishing there was a salem plant exchange...maybe some day we can get together and swap..portland or washington is just too far for me gaswise...pam
    mallowmallow