Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottyinduncan

Costco Mislabelling Rhodo

dottyinduncan
10 years ago

I know I shouldn't have bought it at Costco, but the price was right and had very interesting leaves. The picture was pretty, pink flowers with a purple splotch. Label said, 2 - 4 feet tall, 3 - 5 feet wide. I'm a suspicious type and this rhodo had REALLY big leaves, so I asked gardener google for her description. Checked out R. Rex at the Royal Horticultural site and this is the size they said: SizeUltimate height
8-12 metres

Ultimate spread
4-8 metres

Time to ultimate height
10-20 years
They describe it as a large shrub or a tree.
My plan was to put it in a breezeway, about 10 feet wide on one side of the path. Maybe I can keep it pruned into a tree form????
I hope I have given you a laugh this morning.

Comments (3)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Collector variety not expected to be seen at a big box store. Tends to have tall open habit - should be possible to use it in situation described. Will want to be out of strong wind and hot sun, intended planting site may offer protection from this.

If it is that species it will have the characteristic leaves with hairy undersides etc.

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took a picture of it but it doesn't show the crumpled leaves with the reddish underside as vibrant as it actually is. Also, the leaves are quite grey, rather than dark green. It does look healthy though. It certainly looks like it is going to be a big boy.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Could perfectly well be R. rex. Shouldn't, however have tattered margins or leaves dropping early enough that only the most recent set is present - one branch in the center is showing this, a common cause is powdery mildew. Other frequent banes are lace bugs (I think I have sometimes mistaken their effects for mildew) and weevils. Due to the latter being prevalent you do not want to plant or store (as in potted stock waiting to be planted) rhododendrons beneath building overhangs or low branches of evergreen trees in particular as such situations really seem to bring them on.