Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to trim a leggy Pacific Wax Myrtle (myrica cal.)

Posted by seattle_allegra Seattle, WA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 15:27

My wax myrtles, planted about 4 years ago, have become very "leggy" and I was hoping they would provide a denser screen. I'm not sure how best to trim them to make them fuller. Can anyone give me some instructions? (I am not an experienced pruner--it always makes me nervous!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to trim a leggy Pacific Wax Myrtle (myrica cal.)

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 23:02

What to do depends on what specifically you are talking about when you say they are leggy - what circumstances may be present. These produce a rather open growth in shaded positions, like other shrubs will not be as dense if not doing so well. If planted in the open and of good deep green color then maybe you could cut back on the watering and get slower, more dense growth. Otherwise you have to snip the newer growth back partly to make it shorter.

o

I have a forty foot or so hedge of wax myrtles and imho you can chop them right down to the ground and they will sprout from bare wood. You might not want to do that drastic a job, but they will survive--I know this because a well-meaning friend who helps me with pruning did that to two 15 footers a couple of years ago. It took awhile, but they looks just fine now. They really did need that as they had been growing in the shade of a large ceanothus that had recently been downed in a storm (only 96 mph) and had been removed.

And the idea that "snipping", which sounds so genteel, would do the trick with these outrageous, rank growers puts a smile on my face.

o

This is probably not the right time of year for hard pruning unless you want to look at sticks in the winter. Pruning in March would be better.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 08 at 0:54

Shortening long growths in summer so that they aren't so long but the overall appearance of the shrubs is not markedly altered (whacked back) would in fact consist of snipping.

The leaves of this species are big enough that clipping the whole plant over with a hedge shear results in leaves being cut into sections. Close shearing has a tendency to result in parts of the leaves turning a conspicuous brown - as well as giving the plants a geometric shape not in keeping with most settings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here