Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no flowers on my periwinkle

Posted by blfenton 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 15:31

I'm not much of a ground gardener and mainly do container gardening, I've never posted here but am active on other GW forums and I have a gardening question.

I'm in the Lower Mainland and planted some periwinkle a number of years ago. It is on the west side of the house, under a large cedar and gets dappled late afternoon sun. I used to get flowers a couple of times a year from it but haven't had any now for probably 2 years. Is there something I can do to or add to the periwinkle to produce flowers again.

In the same bed I also have a small cut-leaf maple which is showing signs of dying. The bed is curved and it actually comes into the middle of the yard and gets fairly good sun.

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the dirt in the bed itself or if I'm just having some really bad luck with my plants.

I'd love any advice or suggestions. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no flowers on my periwinkle

Planting within the root zone of a large conifer, like the cedar, generally offers a very dry and nutrient-poor soil situation. While the vinca (periwinkle) should be able to tolerate the situation reasonably well, the maple will surely not.

Both would be a lot happier if you could water deeply as often as necessary and mulch well with compost or other nutrient-rich mulch.

o
RE: no flowers on my periwinkle

Thanks for the mulching hint. I will try that with the maple in September and see what happens next spring. I have to admit I'm not very good with the watering because it usually isn't an issue. This year though rain as been in short supply during the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here