Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it too late to prune a big, old camellia?

Posted by klew Z7b/8, NE PDX, OR (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 17:30

I just read that you are supposed to prune them right after blooming, but that ws months ago. I'd like to get it off the roof and away from the wall of the house before winter.

Will I cause significant harm to the plant if I prune it now, mid-August?

Did I mention that it's a BIG, OLD plant? I mean BIG like 20' tall and 8' wide, and OLD like the trunk is about 11" in diameter. It's healthy and strong, no pests or diseases in sight.

Advice appreciated.

klew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it too late to prune a big, old camellia?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 0:00

You can cut these back to any point on the stem at any time and they will eventually sprout and come back.

Albeit not very quickly.

o

You can prune it any time of year, you will just sacrifice next year's blooms doing it this late in summer.

I had to do the same thing when we moved into this house in the Fall. Some genius planted a camellia about eight inches from the foundation and it was HUGE!

It has come back wonderfully -- cut from its original 7 ft to about a foot. Now, four years later it is about three feet and nicely bushy. Has bloomed every year except for that first spring.

o

Camellias can be pruned any time of year, so long as you don't care about getting maximum bloom the next spring.

One caution about pruning shrubs in this heat, you will expose to the hot sun parts of the plant that have been shaded by the branches you're pruning off, and that can cause significant shock and stress. Wait for the heat to subside, and give the plant a good soaking when you do prune it.

o

Do what reg pnw7 said--wait until it's a little cooler. We did a massive pruning (in anticipation of window installation) last September and October, and everything did great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here