Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bramblebee

What flowers do you grow for cutting?

bramblebee
15 years ago

I'm always eager to learn what flowers do well as cut flowers in other folks'gardens, include flowering shrubs and trees as well as annuals and perennials. What's your favorite flower for cutting?

Comments (6)

• boxofrox
    15 years ago

Six years ago when I started my project, I had a few yellow flowers in the lawn and the normal spattering of azaleas and rhodies in the spring :-) Now, for the last several months I have been cutting enough for 4-6 huge bouquets a week. By huge, I mean as many as I can cram in a large mouthed vase and the bouquet itself about 18" across.

The ones I like the best have a combo of roses, hydrangeas, dahlias, and glads. I start with the mophead hydrangeas alternating colors at the base and then fill with the roses, dahlias, glads, and lacecap hydrangeas.

Here's a rose only one before the other flowers were ready. All these are still blooming and are included in the current bouquets.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1088106}}

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

Are you interested in annuals too or only perennials? Because for annuals I always love to have batchelors buttons, scabiosa, snapdragons, orlaya,ammi visnaga, green nicotiana, zinnias, sunflowers, sweet peas..at infinitum. For shrubs I would add camellias, weigelas, corypteris, viburnums, and hope you have access to salal and huckleberry and pussywillow. TO the bulbs add the brodia(sp?) like Queen Fabiola and Rudy, alliums like purple sensation, and christopheri, dutch iris, tulips and daffodils, and montbretias.Along with the shrubs I like the grasses (Miscanthus varieties especially) for autumn, and leaves and flowers of ladies mantle for early summer.

• boxofrox
    15 years ago

It was ten years ago yesterday that I lost my father so I cut a few flowers for him. Thought you might enjoy......

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:243714}}

• Karchita
    15 years ago

Almost all the flowers, grasses, and ferns that I grow I use for cutting. I can't say that I have a favorite; it's whatever I cut last ;-).

It's easier to say what ones don't do well as cut flowers ... and those are hardy fuchsia, a lot of annuals that don't have tall enough stems, clematis (I know you can float them but I never bother), various trailers, and that's about it for me.

I like to use some plants for their foliage in arrangements without their flowers, like brachyglottis, aster 'Black Prince', cotinus, daphne 'Carol Mackie', and some of the large-leaf scented geraniums.

• bramblebee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are great tips -- keep em coming and thanks!

• novita
    15 years ago

This year I grew zinnias, snapdragons and Chinese Asters in pots. The asters are just starting to bloom but the zinnias have been going strong for weeks. I also put dahlias in 1 gal pots as I ran out of garden bed room.
    Boxofrox, your flowers are splendid, and a lovely way to remember your Dad.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH