Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acw2355

Yeehaw...Plant sales are coming up

acw2355
13 years ago

I love this time of year with all the plant sales coming up.

Lots of garden centers are putting plants on clearance. I've been checking various Fred Meyers garden centers and have been cleaning up!

SNACC Fall Garden Show in Vancouver WA Sept. 11 & 12 at the Marshall Center.

The Hardy Plant Society has a sale coming up Sept. 18 & 19 at Portland Expo Ctr. in Portland OR.

And don't forget the clearance section of your nurseries...usually in late Sept. and Oct. (Garden Fever and Portland Nursery in Portland OR). I have found some treasures in the clearance sections. Helps to know your plants though...

Comments (14)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Gardenpalooza is sponsoring a tour since the Le Tour Des Plants was cancelled. It includes nurseries from Tsugawa's in Woodland WA to Garland in Albany OR. Special discounts, demonstrations and events too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenpalooza Tour Website

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I grabbed a Dicentra 'Candy Hearts' at Portland Nursery the other day for 50% off because it looked a little shabby. They have their color spot type annuals on sale for 50% off too. Needed to replace a few in hanging baskets that dried up. oops.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

This one is don't miss.....Fall is for planting! Our spring was sooo wet this year. I'm just planting stuff now that I bought and I lost some in pots during the heat. argh.

Here is a link that might be useful: HPSO sale page

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Specialty Nursery Association of Clark County Fall Garden Show

DATE: Saturday, September 11 & Sunday, September 12, 2010
    TIME: 10am-4pm
    LOCATION: Marshall Community Center, 1009 E McLoughlin Blvd, Vancouver, WA
    COST: Free
    The Specialty Nursery Association of Clark County brings itÂs Sixth Annual Fall Garden Show to Marshal Community Center in Downtown Vancouver, WA . This two day event brings together a collection of specialty nurseries offering trees, shrubs and flowers ideal for fall planting; local artists featuring garden art and accessories; demonstrations and seminars related to fall landscaping and gardening. Garden enthusiasts of all ages will enjoy.
    For information about becoming a vendor contact SNACC 360-263-8890.

Sponsored by the Specialty Nursery Association of Clark County and Vancouver Parks & Recreation . For more information call 360-263-8890.

SNACC is an educational non-profit association of more than one hundred nurseries throughout Southwest Washington and Oregon dedicated to the encouragement and development of small nurseries.

• project_sideways
    13 years ago

Does anyone know of any garden clubs that are having plant sales in the fall, either in the PDX or Seattle area?

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I haven't found any....

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Not much from organizations calling themselves "clubs" but there may be something of interest anyway. 5 sales events are listed just for today alone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elisabeth C. Miller Library: Plant Sales

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Now I'm finding information that the Clark County sale was today only, not Saturday and Sunday. The Craig's List posting I posted above must have been in error...

Here is a link that might be useful: fall sale page

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

A couple of us made it to the NHS sale in Bellevue, after it had been going for several hours. Kind of small but lots of interesting stuff nevertheless. One item I asked the grower about dwindled down from 1 to 3 plants before I got back to that table. Since the stock was being offered as a named selection yet had been raised from seed, I passed on it.

I didn't know enough about the selection to know if it needed to be raised from division to be true to type, nor what it should look like (one of them was in flower) relative to the typical plant.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

NPA sale.

No wonder it seemed different from past NHS sales.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

The NHS sale has lots of neat stuff. Will be held again tomorrow (Saturday). In the south hangar at Magnuson Park in Seattle.

As before I gravitated to the Desert Northwest tables and Far Reaches Farm, but there were interesting items all around.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Hardy Plant Society Sale tomorrow....:)

• acw2355
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm late getting back to this.

I missed the Portland Hardy plant sale but did make the SNACC plant sale and came home with some natives. I've been lurking, in the rain, over at Portland Nursery's clearance section. Some very nice finds there for 50% off.

I'm in Vancouver WA and find my best deals at Tsugawa Nursery (Woodland), and then Garden Fever and Portland Nursery (Portland). Shorty's and Yard n Garden (Vancouver)seem to be overpriced most of the time. Plus they just don't have the variety.

I've amassed quite a few plants and had hoped for a longer fall season to plant in. I think I'll be planting in the rain the next week.

For rose lovers our Ft. Vancouver Rose Society used to have some really good sales at their meetings. One could pick up some unusual roses there. I don't know if they still do that.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Shorty's has really changed over the last few years. When I started shopping there they had the variety and were lower priced than Portland Nursery. However, they did a bunch of remodeling and changed suppliers to have almost exclusively Monrovia and mostly bigger sizes at higher prices.