Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
aristea ecklonii

Posted by billyet Portland OR (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 6, 09 at 18:45

I have just moved to Portland and would like to know if anybody is growing aristea ecklonii here--iris relative, very very blue flowers from S Africa I think. I had one in Alabama, but had to leave it behind and would like to find another one.
Also, I am looking for blue-eyed grass, another relative.
thanks, if anyone grows them here I'd like to know about how they do and maybe trade?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: aristea ecklonii

I've seen aristea on occasion in local nurseries, but I believe it to be of marginal hardiness in this area. Sisyrinchium is much easier to find, including several west coast natives as well as hybrids. It is far hardier.

o
RE: aristea ecklonii, other iris?

Dear gardengal48
I just ran across what looks like a beautiful iris species: herbetia?
I see you specialize in iris, and wondered if you know if these are available in Portland, and how well they grow here.
I am planning to have as much blue-eyed grass as I can, it was lovely in my garden in Alabama. So far (we only got the key to our new house last week)--so far, I have spent all my garden time digging up blackberries, garden has been neglected for over a year, and the blackberries are taking over. But as soon as I get a breathing spell I will check out nurseries.
Would appreciate any recommendations about pdx nurseries, and what grows well here: as far as I can tell everything is burgeoning, even in the bad heat of last week.
Thanks for your help
Billye

o
RE: aristea ecklonii

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 8, 09 at 1:01

Try finding local vendors by looking in The Plant Locator - Western Region published in Portland and current through 2004. Individual inventories will be different now but web sites of those that had the particular plants desired at that time can be visited to find out if any still have them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here