Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs eat my brocolli

Posted by natalija_gardener Western WA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 19:25

I never planted brocolli before, but some people recomended brocolli because they say it is much easier to grow than cauliflower. I transplanted cauliflowers in the beginning of summer - they were eaten by bugs. Now my brocolli seems to have the same bugs eating it. They look like small black bugs with wings. I try usual insectiside for veggies - but they are still eating it and still living on the inner leaves. Can you please give me advise how to get rid of them?
Thanks for your attention!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs eat my brocolli

Cabbage moths are flying around now. If you don't want to eat green worms on crucifers like cabbage, cauliflower, or broccoli give the plants a dusting of BT, a safe biological worm killer.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 22:20

The small bugs with wings may be aphids. If so, hose them off.

o

I agree, it sounds like aphids.

Paper wasps take care of the cabbage moth larvae for me. The wasp population was way down this year for some reason and my broccoli has a lot of worms for the first time in 10+ years. I hope there are more around next year. They never bother me, even though some of their nests are next to doors.

o

Yes, Ratherbgardening, I think this is the reason, why this is going on this year, because people said usually broccoli is easy plant to grow. Hopefully there going to be more wasps to help us next year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here