Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottyinduncan

Any Wonderful Container Combos?

dottyinduncan
17 years ago

I do a number of containers and hanging baskets in the springtime, but I'm not as creative as I wish. Anyone got pics of container plantings that are great? I'd like to see them in full flower this year so I could copy for next year. Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)

• hemnancy
    17 years ago

I don't do containers but P. Allen Smith had a show on them and he combines a vertical element like a grass or New Zealand Flax, a trailing plant, and foliage/flowering plants. He combines grey foliage with purple flowers or chartreuse foliage and burgundy foliage.

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I love the combo of dark burgundy and chartreuse, so this would be lovely. Thanks for the suggestion.

• gw:plant_babies
    17 years ago

I use a sword leaf Dracaena in the middle of some.

:)

• boxofrox
    17 years ago

I did three large pots that sit on my retaining wall that I really like. I put a magilla perilla (sp)which looks a lot like a dark burgundy/red coleus in the center of the two end ones and then combined light blue and dark purple supertunias/million bells with dark pink/white geraniums. The pot in the center I did with homestead purple verbena and those annuals that have the bright shimmering plumes of red and yellow. I used both green and red foliaged ones. Sorry I can't remember the name of the annuals. The three pots are quite a color spot together.

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They sound beautiful! I just love Million bells -- they are sure an easy-care plant that the deer don't like. Any chance of a picture?

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

"Swordleaf dracaena" would be Cordyline australis, marketed down here as 'Spikes'.

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I found a magazine with a container contest winners -- they were beautiful. The winner contained Begonia Escargot, Coleus Wizard Sunset, 2 Licorice Plants, a pink stripe Mountain Flax and a Persian Sheild. This was in a large blue pot and the colours were exceptional. Runner up contained only 3 plants in black and silver: Mondo Grass, Rex begonia and a sage. Their mantra was Thrillers, fillers and spillers -- the same as posters here are suggesting.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

Fine Gardening puts out a special interest publication each summer that is focused on container plantings - and I've seen other similar publications that can be used for creative inspiration. There are some dynamite combinations in all of them, including ones that are very seasonal, some that include edibles and others that are a mixed bag of more permanent plantings with seasonal color added. Personally, these last types are more my preference as I dislike (nor do I have the time) to replant containers every time the season changes. And I like the structure more permanent plantings give to containers.

A lot of nurseries and garden centers offer seminars or classes on container plantings. With smaller lots or even only balconies or small patios available to lots of folks, container gardening is the fastest growing segment of the horticulture industry - nearly everyone has room for at least one container and it's a great way to be able to garden even as just a renter. Growers are also offering more and more shrubs and other plants in smaller sizes intended for this market.

• annzgw
    17 years ago

Here's a site you may like. Scroll down and check the links under 'Container ideas'. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Containers

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

I have the Fine Gardening container issue that was recently published. If anyone wants it I'd send it if you reimburse postage. It is in like new condition.

I didn't realize that it was all from the magazine that I already get so repetitive.