Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reemcook

RU summer sale: Roses best suited for WA

reemcook
14 years ago

Hi folks,

The Roses Unlimited summer sale is almost over. I ordered the species rose - R. Bracteata. I want to buy a few more roses from them. I have the following newbie questions about the roses:

1. Please suggest specific roses (from the RU sale list) that have strong disease resistance and hardiness for the WA climate. I understand that the term "disease resistance" does not imply that the plant isn't susceptible to diseases. We are new to rose gardening, and hence the need for tough roses.

2. The new roses will need to be in containers until next spring. Most of the poor things in our "garden" are still in containers but going strong (Shoutout to Ashdown Roses - Thank you!). Are there specific roses that may be better in handling this challenge?

3. Finally (in this post), can you please suggest roses that display continuous bloom?

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

- Reem

Note: I apologize for the double post from the Roses forum. I am keen on availing the opportunity to purchase RU roses before their sale ends tomorrow (8/7). Thank you for understanding in this matter.

Here is a link that might be useful: RU Summer Rose Sale

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Fall is the best time to plant hardy stock. If you would be holding them until spring only because you thought that was the required time to plant, it is not.

For a page that may be of interest...

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle Rose Society Recommended Puget Sound Rose Performers

• reg_pnw7
    14 years ago

It would be much easier on us if you asked about specific varieties you are interested in. I would be happy to comment on any specific varieties that I have experience with.

• muddydogs
    14 years ago

A big tall clean species rose is rosa rubrifolia. Bland blooms. Knock Out roses are bland, too. Guess I'm not growing them right. I think they're really dull and bland.

• reemcook
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi reg_pnw7,

I am interested in their Climbing Roses and Old Garden Roses. My order is shipping on Monday, Aug 17th, hence I still have an opportunity to add a few more roses to my order. Your suggestions are much appreciated!

Thank you.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

WOW! That's quite a list of roses they carry! FWIW, most OGR's tend to be one time bloomers - one large, sometimes overwhelming flush and then that's it for the season. Cross check against the Rose Society list - they will code reblooming OGR's with the letter 'R' and those listed will have documented success in this climate.

• hallerlake
    14 years ago

Muddydogs, Rosa rubrifolia, now known as R. glauca, is on my must have plant list. In fact, it's the only rose I grow anymore. The flowers are quite pretty (I have a preference for single flowers), but that's not why I grow it. I grow it for the purple glaucus leaves, the violet stems, and the red hips. You get the best stem color if you cut out a few of the oldest stems every year.

• reemcook
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Roses Unlimited (RU) does not have Rosa rubrifolia (R. glauca). I googled the R. Glauca rose to procure more information...and wow...it is beautiful! I will need to find this rose from a different vendor (maybe next year).

I am ordering the following roses. Are these roses are well suited for our WA climate zone (esp. for disease resistance, hardiness, and adaptability).

1. Climbers: Alister's Gift
    2. Hybrid Musk: Bubble Bath
    3. Polyanthas: La Marne
    4. Hybrid Tea: Sweet Promise
    5. Floribunda: Easter Basket (will this work in WA?)
    I am also considering Evangeline, Echo, and Lorenzo Pahissa but am undecided at this time.

Kindly let me know if there are other roses on the sale page that may work better for our climate.

Thank you very much in advance for your kind help!

- Reem

Here is a link that might be useful: RU Summer Sale

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

'La Marne' is a scentless gaudy Polyantha type that is common in older plantings. Either it was popular in its own right or it was used as a rootstock. Many specimens mildew during the summer. 'Evangeline' is a spectacularly flowering, trouble-free selection that looks like a sort of climbing version of 'Ballerina' - like it basically a Rosa multiflora with strongly outer petal areas. Unlike 'Ballerina' the growth is of the rambler type, flowers coming once per year on growths formed previously.

• reemcook
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Please provide your comments/experience with the following roses:

+ Apple Blossom
    + Aunt Ruth
    + Casa Blanca
    + Cherub
    + Evangeline
    + Gladsome
    + High Noon
    + Newport Fairy

Thank you!

Reem

• brody
    14 years ago

If you ever attend one of the local plant trades, someone can provide Rosa glauca for you. It seeds around.

'Perle d'Or' and 'Old Blush' are easy care, long bloomers worth growing in our climate. 'Old Blush' will take a fair amount of shade.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

I've seen Rosa x odorata 'Pallida' ('Old Blush') blooming against the north side of a house in Seattle.