Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lagagnon

Plum tree has raised base with waterspouts and fungus

lagagnon
14 years ago

We have inherited a large 15-20' high plum tree (varietal unknown) bordering our property. It is quite a good fruit producer. I am concerned about this tree as it appears to have originally been planted with the rootstock much too high above ground as it now has rootlets and water spouts arising on a circular raised stump which is about 6" above the surrounding grassed area. On this same "stump" are numerous waterspouts and fine weeds - which I prune back every couple of months or so. This stump also has a number of fungus growths now, near the base of the tree.

How should I treat this raised area? That is, should I keep removing waterspouts and how do I deal with the fungus growth?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Larry

Comments (5)

• jean001
    14 years ago

Keep removing the watersprouts.

Planting high is far better than planting deep.

Beyond that, can you post a picture to help us better understand what you mean by fungus growth?

• rain2fall
    14 years ago

Can you pull the waterspouts gently, so as to take away the heel? That will diminish the growth hormones. Sometimes cutting them will make them want to grow more. If you have to cut, August is about the best time, as it is less likely to stimulate more growth.

Can you get some timbers and make a raised bed and slowly add soil to bring up the height of the soil level?

And yes -- pictures of the fungus are important.

Rain2Fall

• jean001
    14 years ago

It was said "Can you get some timbers and make a raised bed and slowly add soil to bring up the height of the soil level?"

I suggest you *not* do that.

Even if the level is slowly increased, the sprouts will continue to drive you nuts.

The underlying "problem" is the plum's rootstock. It has the nasty characteristic of putting out unwanted suckers.

• reg_pnw7
    14 years ago

A) it sounds like a very old tree, and plum trees do not live all that long.

B) Fruit trees are often grafted several inches to a couple of feet above the soil level. Not intended to be planted with the rootstock entirely underground. Your tree sounds normal, not planted too high at all.

From your description of the 'stump', it sounds to me like it had a mongo rootstock sprout that was allowed to grow unimpeded for years, many years ago. Eventually someone cut it off but not until it had attained trunk-like proportions. Been there, done that. Now that old sprout is continuing to sprout. Which it will do, so long as it lives.

Don't try to bury it. It won't stop the sprouts, and it could rot the tree. It does not sound like it was planted too high to me. The fungi growing on the stump may be heart-rot fungi, in which case the tree is on its way out. Nothing you can do about that - plum trees don't live long, and you just can't kill fungi once they invade a plant's tissues. Pictures would be helpful for us, but probably not for the tree since identification will be simply educated guesses for one thing and even a good ID probably won't change anything you could do.

So! just keep trimming back the sprouts. That's life with a fruit tree.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Yes, could be the rootstock being a bigger-growing type than the scion. Another instance where a good photo could get you much more certain replies.