Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Flowering Currant

Posted by dawn8b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 20:41

I received this plant in May as a gift. It's now about 3' feet and I'm wondering if it needs to be pinched to make it bushy or should I just leave it alone.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Flowering Currant

And a close-up of new leaves coming.

o

That reminds me of the local native red-flowering currant we planted several years ago. The thing was coarse and grew rampantly, had to be removed even after hard prunings and it had more space than yours does. Another one down the street, planted as a foundation plant, was soon in the eave.

We do see daintier cultivars around the neighborhood. Yours has very large leaves, did it come with a label?

o

That's strange, I've never seen one grow like that before. Were you told which cultivar it is?

Is it growing in shade or being watered heavily?

This post was edited by OregonGrape on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 23:43

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 10:32

I saw a native red Currant that completely covered the end a single car garage.
I'd move it to a place where it has more room and prune as necessary.
I would also move that rhododendron (Unique?) away from your Cedar hedge. Good luck on keeping that trimmed.
Mike

o

It was a gift all park volunteers received. It wasn't tagged so I don't know anything about it. Sure hope they didn't saddle 200 of us with a monster.

That's the only spot I have for it so it'll either fit in or it'll go. Good thing I like pruning. ;)

Will it bush out by itself?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 13:23

Yes. The "new leaves coming" are buds for next year.

o

Thanks. :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here