Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help diagnosing sick lilac bush

Posted by tyandnickysmum WA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 14, 06 at 21:03

My lilac has had one or two blooms the last few years. Now it looks really bad. The leaves are droopy and then turning brown. They also have gnawing marks from maybe an insect? There is no white evidence of powdery mildew. Checked base and did not see any rodent damage. Any advice would help and i can also email a picture of my poor bush:)

Jessica
worried in Auburn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help diagnosing sick lilac bush

Hmmm...I'm not sure, but a pic certainly won't hurt. You can email it to me (grant_in_seattle@yahoo.com) and I'll post it in this thread.

How long has the plant been in the ground? Do you think it's getting adequate water?

Thanks!
Grant

o
Pics for .....RE: Need help diagnosing sick lilac bush

It sure looks like it wants more water to me, but I imagine you've already given it a big drink to see if it perks up?

Here are the pics Jessica emailed me so others can take a look and offer suggestions too. Keep us posted and good luck!

Pic #1

Pic #2

Pic #3

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 16, 06 at 23:15

Needs water.

o

It does look like it needs water, but it also looks like some insect damage. The leaves look different than what I know a Lilac leaf to look like. The shape is different.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 24, 06 at 1:58

The insect damage on the leaves appears to be that of root weevil adults.

If the plant isn't wilted because of dry soil or even excess moisture, perhaps the root weevil larvae have damaged the roots or the crown of the shrub.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 24, 06 at 10:56

Judging by the brown grass in the background and the hanging leaves, I'd say it needs water. The sooner the better. Lilacs appreciate a little lime in our acid soil too.

o

Seems like everyone has given up on this, but in my opinion, the roots have been smothered. Since all of the leaves are drooping but don't seem to be damaged, it isn't a pest. 80% of the time shrubs are planted too deep and while it may take two or three years to debilitate the plant, it's inevitable doom. Oxygen can't get to the roots and the plant slowly suffocates. Fortunately, Lilacs are deciduous so during their dormant period you can replant them higher -- about two inches higher than level grade. It won't hurt to cut the branches back about 1/3 at the same time. Once replanted, water deeply twice a week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here